AK-47 Shooting Demonstration (HD)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Amsdorf, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Having some fun with the good old WASR 10/63, this one has a Tapco T6, butt pad, and Hogue grip. Shooting cheap Russian steal ammo, put over 350 rounds through it in the session yesterday...not a single FTF, the only thing happening now on the rifle is the bolt is not locking back after the last round.

Here's the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Apwf0CbfQ[/ame]

2. GastonGlock

GastonGlock New Member

Cool video. I noticed you grip the mag while shooting, do you notice any difference in accuracy when gripping the mag vs the forend?

I've never been too keen of gripping the mag when firing but a lot of people seem to do it

3. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

I did only because the foreend was so hot I could not touch it. Next time, I'm wearing fire proof gloves!

4. iShoot

iShoot New Member

Nice looking AK. The bolt holding open issue is because the magazine(s) that come with the rifle have raised magazine followers that hold the bolt open after the last round is fired, where other magazines do not. I ordered several used surplus magazines without the bump on the follower. I took them apart and cleaned them up, and slightly filed the ramps so they would fit in the AK better, but for less than $10 a magazine it's still a good deal.

5. GastonGlock

GastonGlock New Member

Wow does the forend really get that hot? How many rounds did you put through it? I've never fired more than about 20 rounds through an AK at one time.

From my understanding the AK was not designed to have a bolt hold open feature after the last round is fired. Like the post above me said, some mags can do it. At least that's what I read somewhere. But it's not a standard feature for the trusty AK. I recently bought a milled Bulgarian Arsenal that I haven't had the chance to go shoot yet. Maybe I'll post a video of it this weekend if I get a chance to go shoot.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. iShoot

iShoot New Member

They do get pretty hot sometimes, I put a quad rail and foregrip on one and it makes a difference. Here's a picture of the magazine followers (the left came with my AK-47 M70AB2 under folder)

Attached Files:

7. GastonGlock

GastonGlock New Member

Ah thanks. I've never come across AK mags with raised followers before, only read about them. Any differences between AK mags with the raised follower vs standard followers as far as reliability and fit is concerned?

8. iShoot

iShoot New Member

Nope, no problems whatsoever they fit and feed just fine. Sometimes with the surplus ones since they are used, they can look extremely worn, or may look brand new, but usually are somewhere in between. I recommend taking them apart anyway (very easy) and wiping them down with some gun oil on a rag. You can see where I needed to file the ramp on the right one for a better fit. As far as having the bolt stop, to me it's really pointless since it doesn't stay open once you take the magazine out anyway (unless you have a sticky bolt, then it may).

9. GastonGlock

GastonGlock New Member

I had to use a dremel on one of my mags to make it fit right. It was hard to put in and twice as hard to take out lol, but it fits beautifully now. They're all either Bulgarian or Romanian. I've only cleaned the one that came with the AK tho, I have to clean the other two... I heard that dipping them in mineral spirits helps remove the gunk and cosmoline. I'm gonna try it on the other 2 mags then dry them out and give them a quick wipe of oil.

10. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. Interesting stuff.

When I put four magazines through mine, shooting slowly, then in a few bursts, by the fourth mag, the foreend was so hot I could hot hold it comfortably with bare hands.

I mean, seriously...could not.