Glock Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my gen 4 G21 for a plane ride and I picked up a pelican 1200 case with pick n pluck foam.. Anyone ever used this foam and any suggestions on how to cut it would be helpful..

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Congrats on that Pelican case...mucho dinero, si !?

I usually take all the equipment and lay it out on the foam.

When I decide which way looks and fits best, I trace a faint outline

while the equipment is still in place...remove said equipment and cut

with an exacto knife...

·
I'm Back!
260 Posts
Shooter's method is going to be your best bet, if you trace with a peice of chalk you can just brush it off afterwards.

I don't know if this is your first time flying with a hand gun but make sure you look up the specific airlines rules because some allow you to have ammo in the same case some dont. There are also some other gnarly rules that can make for a bad day if not followed.

Also, if they place any identifying marks on the outside of your bag due to having a firearm in the bag make sure you get it removed becuase it is illegal. I've heard a lot of stories about people flying and them placing a red paper to the outside of the bag and when the land the handgun is missing.

·
Banned
6,071 Posts
Congrats on that Pelican case...mucho dinero, si !?

I usually take all the equipment and lay it out on the foam.

When I decide which way looks and fits best, I trace a faint outline

while the equipment is still in place...remove said equipment and cut

with an exacto knife...

That's what I did ( except I used a sharpie)

Flying w/ mine was super easy. I only had to fill out one form & just placed it in my suitcase & no problems. ( I took my g36 to TX for Thanksgiving)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Pelican recommends that you outline it, then cut 1/4" inside the outline, for a tighter fit, then use spray adhesive to attach the mid layer to the bottom layer.

With the pick & pluck foam, it's a little different, because you're not cutting. If you're going to outline it, I would do it backwards, i.e. if you want the muzzle to face left, then lay it out facing right, pluck it out, spray it with adhesive, then flip it and place it on the bottom layer, so it's glued down facing how you want it and the outline is not visible.

From what I've read, the pick & pluck foam is not as durable as the regular foam, so if you're in and out of the case a lot, expect to replace the foam in a few years. The case will last forever, or near enough.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
My only concern with doing this is the fact that the luggage handlers place a big sticker on the outside of the case, letting all the crooked baggage handlers know which suitcase to pilfer. :mad:

·
I'm Back!
260 Posts
My only concern with doing this is the fact that the luggage handlers place a big sticker on the outside of the case, letting all the crooked baggage handlers know which suitcase to pilfer. :mad:

Check this out....

http://www.joehuffman.org/firearms/gunsplanes.htm#Brady said:
"Brady restrictions on identifying luggage as carrying firearms.
http://www.joehuffman.org/firearms/gunsplanes.htm#Brady said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]See http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/bradylaw/shippers.htm for complete details. The short version follows:[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."[/FONT]​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts