Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on vacation next month and it's the first time I'm going somewhere where I'm flying (non-military) and of course I'm taking my Glock 23 with me. I've read up on the steps needed to take to travel with firearms but I was just looking for some first hand accounts on the topic. Any thoughts and suggestions?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Make sure you order your ticket on the phone, skip the online nonsense. Make it very clear to the person that you will be traveling with a firearm and be specific. Ask for their specific policies and get his or her name and employee number, write it all down. Contact the TSA prior to purchasing a lock box and make sure it meets their approved list. Glock boxes are on this list. Make sure to cable lock the frame. I have never taken ammo with me, that part I cannot help with.

Make sure at the airport you go directly to bag check and tell them immediately you have a firearm.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already ordered the tickets. I ordered them online while in Afghanistan because I couldn't call. Does your box have to lock? Or just have a cable lock through the pistol?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
^^^ +1

I have never flown with my glock, though I am planning a raid trip this summer.

I have had several friends refuse to fly with their weapons. Adam Baldwin, yes the actor, drove from Cali here to Phoenix cause he didn't want to fly. He was afraid that the TSA would lose his guns or that they would get stolen...

Some people ship their weapons to their destination.

I would definitely call ahead first just to clarify policies...

I have never heard of any issues from people who did everything right....

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Most domestic carriers demand that the luggage be marked with "firearm inside" sticker. That is about as dumb as possible. Because of this, when I fly, my guns stay home and I pack a knife and be careful of my surroundings.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
havasu said:
Most domestic carriers demand that the luggage be marked with "firearm inside" sticker. That is about as dumb as possible. Because of this, when I fly, my guns stay home and I pack a knife and be careful of my surroundings.
Same here... Though I should be more careful cause my friggin huge cold steel spartan is illegal in some states...

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blackwolffcf said:
Some people ship their weapons to their destination.
I looked into that route but that's trickier than declaring it for the plane ride. Especially if you wanna ship ammo too.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
MarinewithaGlock said:
I looked into that route but that's trickier than declaring it for the plane ride. Especially if you wanna ship ammo too.
Can be a mess with FFL fees and timing...

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely a bigger mess than the airline. I'm debating on just buying more hollowpoints upon landing but I'm going to the keys and don't know how readily available they'll be. And then what do I do with them when I get ready to come home?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
MarinewithaGlock said:
Definitely a bigger mess than the airline. I'm debating on just buying more hollowpoints upon landing but I'm going to the keys and don't know how readily available they'll be. And then what do I do with them when I get ready to come home?
Could leave them with someone there...

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know anyone in the keys/Miami region looking for some .40 hornady critical defense rounds? Cause that's what I'd be carrying.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
You can ship overnight with UPS directly to the home. Ask them they will confirm it. Just to be on the extra safe side I have my customers ship two packages, the frame in one and everything else in the other.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nukinfuts29 said:
You can ship overnight with UPS directly to the home. Ask them they will confirm it. Just to be on the extra safe side I have my customers ship two packages, the frame in one and everything else in the other.
Don't have to go through an FFL? Just put it in two boxes and overnight it and as long as the recieving end signs for it im good?

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, to have a transport a firearm via commercial (domestic US) airline, the following are needed, AS APPLIES ONLY TO CHECKED-IN LUGGAGE!!!!

1. Firearm in a TSA-Approved lockable solid-sided (hard plastic that does not bend, or aluminum/steel, or any combination).

2. Firearm unloaded, no magazines inserted, no ammo in magazines. Ammo box may be stored in the same case BUT I have heard of instances when the number of rounds in the box became an issue....do not know if this is policy or simply overzealousness on the part of the inspector.

3. Be aware that you will most likely lose the locks, and they may be replaced with other TSA-Approved locks.

4. Be aware that transporting a firearm is OK and legal from a point of origin that allows that firearm to a point of destination that also allows that firearm. If there are stopovers in between in any city that does not allow that firearm, and the commuter (meaning "you") have to take possession of your baggage, you are taking the firearm into your possession, which can be illegal in some jurisdictions. For instance (PURELY HYPOTHETICALLY), a Barret M82A1 is legal in AZ and NV and OR and WA, but illegal in CA. If your flight is nonstop from say AZ to WA, no problem. If there is a stopover (no change plane) in CA, as long as you do not handle your baggage or take possession of it, you SHOULD be OK (a lot depends on the level of zeal of the TSA inspectors). If the stop in CA involves anything where you will put your hands on your luggage and it is not in the uninterrupted custody of the airline+airport+TSA, it is illegal import of a banned firearm. If you are taking it from AZ to AK but with a 24-hour or whatever stopover in Canada, it is illegal import into Canada of a military firearm....hunting rifles are often allowed but not the Barret .50BMG. Absolutely no firearms are allowed into Mexico via air travel unless there are extremely unique circumstances (i.e., permits secured from Mexican Gov't prior to flight).

5. To my knowledge, TSA has discontinued their practice of wrapping bright orange or yellow tape that says "CONTAINS FIREARM" on luggage.

6. When checking in at airport, go to counter of your flight, but do not fall in line. Wait for any TSA personnel to walk by, and politely say you would like to speak to a TSA Supervisor. If asked why, POLITELY request to speak only to a Supervisor. When one shows up, clearly state that you are checking into a flight on that airline and would like to check in a firearm. You will (usually) be taken to the back (behind the counter) where all your luggage will be x-rayed, then opened and physically inspected, then re-locked, and your paperwork (boarding pass) will be processed, and you are then clear to go to the passenger security screening area.

DONE.

If the question was one of bringing a firearm INTO the US from a foreign country, I would recommend contacting the TSA as well as the equivalent authorities in the country of origin. Bringing a firearm OUT of the US to a foreign country, there is not so much issue on the US side....the issue would be in the destination country and any other stopover countries (if any).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
#6 is very very smart

To the best of my knowledge, to have a transport a firearm via commercial (domestic US) airline, the following are needed, AS APPLIES ONLY TO CHECKED-IN LUGGAGE!!!!

1. Firearm in a TSA-Approved lockable solid-sided (hard plastic that does not bend, or aluminum/steel, or any combination).

2. Firearm unloaded, no magazines inserted, no ammo in magazines. Ammo box may be stored in the same case BUT I have heard of instances when the number of rounds in the box became an issue....do not know if this is policy or simply overzealousness on the part of the inspector.

3. Be aware that you will most likely lose the locks, and they may be replaced with other TSA-Approved locks.

4. Be aware that transporting a firearm is OK and legal from a point of origin that allows that firearm to a point of destination that also allows that firearm. If there are stopovers in between in any city that does not allow that firearm, and the commuter (meaning "you") have to take possession of your baggage, you are taking the firearm into your possession, which can be illegal in some jurisdictions. For instance (PURELY HYPOTHETICALLY), a Barret M82A1 is legal in AZ and NV and OR and WA, but illegal in CA. If your flight is nonstop from say AZ to WA, no problem. If there is a stopover (no change plane) in CA, as long as you do not handle your baggage or take possession of it, you SHOULD be OK (a lot depends on the level of zeal of the TSA inspectors). If the stop in CA involves anything where you will put your hands on your luggage and it is not in the uninterrupted custody of the airline+airport+TSA, it is illegal import of a banned firearm. If you are taking it from AZ to AK but with a 24-hour or whatever stopover in Canada, it is illegal import into Canada of a military firearm....hunting rifles are often allowed but not the Barret .50BMG. Absolutely no firearms are allowed into Mexico via air travel unless there are extremely unique circumstances (i.e., permits secured from Mexican Gov't prior to flight).

5. To my knowledge, TSA has discontinued their practice of wrapping bright orange or yellow tape that says "CONTAINS FIREARM" on luggage.

6. When checking in at airport, go to counter of your flight, but do not fall in line. Wait for any TSA personnel to walk by, and politely say you would like to speak to a TSA Supervisor. If asked why, POLITELY request to speak only to a Supervisor. When one shows up, clearly state that you are checking into a flight on that airline and would like to check in a firearm. You will (usually) be taken to the back (behind the counter) where all your luggage will be x-rayed, then opened and physically inspected, then re-locked, and your paperwork (boarding pass) will be processed, and you are then clear to go to the passenger security screening area.

DONE.

If the question was one of bringing a firearm INTO the US from a foreign country, I would recommend contacting the TSA as well as the equivalent authorities in the country of origin. Bringing a firearm OUT of the US to a foreign country, there is not so much issue on the US side....the issue would be in the destination country and any other stopover countries (if any).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts