Aiming

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Glock897, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Glock897

Glock897 Member

Do you close one eye when aiming or do you have both eyes open?

2. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Both eyes open

3. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Both open for me too.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Both eyes open unless shooting 25+ yards

5. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Do you hone in on the target, sights or both? I've been practicing with both eyes and am trying to find a good technique, so far i like it better than one just trying to get more accurate and consistent.

6. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Comp pistol shooting one eye, defense training both eyes open. Rifles, both eyes open with an ACOG or Red dot.

7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I need to learn how to do that

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Whether you have one eye open or both open, your focus should always be on your front sight. It's what matters most.

You have to train your brain to shoot with both eyes open, because you're going to see more than one set of sights.

Try sighting in with one eye open, then open the other, then close it again. When you close the 2nd eye, your dominant eye should still be sighted in correctly. If you can do this consistently, then you can shoot with both eyes open. Do this as part of dry fire practice. You'll learn how to pick up the sights with both eyes fairly quickly.

Once your comfortable that you're doing it correctly, then start practicing bringing the gun up and acquiring the sights. Bring the gun up, sight in, then close your non-dominant eye to ensure you're picking up the sights correctly. Once you've got it down, it's easy.

9. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

There's an easy way to learn which eye is dominant. With your forefinger and thumb, make a circle, or aperture, if you will. Now pick out an object on a wall about 10-15 feet away. A light switch works well. Now look at your light switch, through your finger/thumb aperture, with both eyes open. Now close one eye, then the other. But not both at the same time!! Ha! Anyway, which ever eye you can the light switch with, is your dominant eye. This will help you when your training yourself to shoot with both eyes, believe it or not.

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, something to work on at the range next time. Always trying to get better!!

11. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I strive for both eyes open. But I find myself closing one eye when I get frustrated. lol

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I can aim with both eyes open, but tend to close my left eye most of the time.

13. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I close my left. Im right eye dominate.

14. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

i agree with bhale187 .

15. Glock897

Glock897 Member

I was just curious. I can do it either way. Im not any better(or worse) either way. I was thinking of getting laser sights as my next toy.

16. dcjack

dcjack New Member

I would really like to see you shoot Glock PIstol, with any degree of accuracy at 25 yards with both eyes open ! I really would like to see that !
    I would stick with the principles of shooting, aim with your strong eye and focus on the foresight as some have credibly explained. If u do decide to keep both eyes open, keep it to point shooting at less than 7 yards. Enjoy your shooting ! AIM !!

17. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

Defense training (all I do) both eyes open... when I was younger & hunted, I closed my left eye when I shot anything at great distance, as I recall. Funny thing, I do not remember how I shot weapons in the military... I was hit by a car a few years ago and had a bit of a 'memory wipe.'

18. 3L3C7R0

3L3C7R0 New Member

Do this with your shooting hand. If you do it with your other it will change the viewing angle and will flip flop to the other eye.

19. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I shoot at 7 15 and 25 yards, at 15 I still shoot both eyes open and keep them well inside the 8"x11". At 25 yards I have to close one eye to get a better sight picture. Like I said...

I practise this way because its an inescapable physiological fact that under extreme stress you body makes it nearly impossible to close one eye. It's part of the many effects of massive adrenaline dumps in a fight or flight response to danger.

20. tressa_wi

tressa_wi New Member

Never knew that great info. This was a good thread I had questions about sights and I got some good answers. Thanks