Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Do you hone in on the target, sights or both? I've been practicing with both eyes and am trying to find a good technique, so far i like it better than one just trying to get more accurate and consistent.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Comp pistol shooting one eye, defense training both eyes open. Rifles, both eyes open with an ACOG or Red dot.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Do you hone in on the target, sights or both? I've been practicing with both eyes and am trying to find a good technique, so far i like it better than one just trying to get more accurate and consistent.
Whether you have one eye open or both open, your focus should always be on your front sight. It's what matters most.

You have to train your brain to shoot with both eyes open, because you're going to see more than one set of sights.

Try sighting in with one eye open, then open the other, then close it again. When you close the 2nd eye, your dominant eye should still be sighted in correctly. If you can do this consistently, then you can shoot with both eyes open. Do this as part of dry fire practice. You'll learn how to pick up the sights with both eyes fairly quickly.

Once your comfortable that you're doing it correctly, then start practicing bringing the gun up and acquiring the sights. Bring the gun up, sight in, then close your non-dominant eye to ensure you're picking up the sights correctly. Once you've got it down, it's easy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's an easy way to learn which eye is dominant. With your forefinger and thumb, make a circle, or aperture, if you will. Now pick out an object on a wall about 10-15 feet away. A light switch works well. Now look at your light switch, through your finger/thumb aperture, with both eyes open. Now close one eye, then the other. But not both at the same time!! Ha! Anyway, which ever eye you can the light switch with, is your dominant eye. This will help you when your training yourself to shoot with both eyes, believe it or not.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Thanks guys, something to work on at the range next time. Always trying to get better!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would really like to see you shoot Glock PIstol, with any degree of accuracy at 25 yards with both eyes open ! I really would like to see that !
I would stick with the principles of shooting, aim with your strong eye and focus on the foresight as some have credibly explained. If u do decide to keep both eyes open, keep it to point shooting at less than 7 yards. Enjoy your shooting ! AIM !!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Defense training (all I do) both eyes open... when I was younger & hunted, I closed my left eye when I shot anything at great distance, as I recall. Funny thing, I do not remember how I shot weapons in the military... I was hit by a car a few years ago and had a bit of a 'memory wipe.'

·
Banned
131 Posts
sgtglock said:
There's an easy way to learn which eye is dominant. With your forefinger and thumb, make a circle, or aperture, if you will. Now pick out an object on a wall about 10-15 feet away. A light switch works well. Now look at your light switch, through your finger/thumb aperture, with both eyes open. Now close one eye, then the other. But not both at the same time!! Ha! Anyway, which ever eye you can the light switch with, is your dominant eye. This will help you when your training yourself to shoot with both eyes, believe it or not.
Do this with your shooting hand. If you do it with your other it will change the viewing angle and will flip flop to the other eye.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I would really like to see you shoot Glock PIstol, with any degree of accuracy at 25 yards with both eyes open ! I really would like to see that !
I would stick with the principles of shooting, aim with your strong eye and focus on the foresight as some have credibly explained. If u do decide to keep both eyes open, keep it to point shooting at less than 7 yards. Enjoy your shooting ! AIM !!
I shoot at 7 15 and 25 yards, at 15 I still shoot both eyes open and keep them well inside the 8"x11". At 25 yards I have to close one eye to get a better sight picture. Like I said...

Both eyes open unless shooting 25+ yards
I practise this way because its an inescapable physiological fact that under extreme stress you body makes it nearly impossible to close one eye. It's part of the many effects of massive adrenaline dumps in a fight or flight response to danger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sgtglock said:
Never knew that great info. This was a good thread I had questions about sights and I got some good answers. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts