Ahhhh its dark!!!!

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by law, Feb 3, 2012.

1. law

law New Member

What night sites do you swear by???

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

It took awhile, but the more I shoot the XS Big Dots, the more I like them. Hated at first, but they are growing on me

3. GrubKiller

GrubKiller New Member

Me too! I have them on my primary G17 and G19s. I prefer the ledges though.

4. cjs83

cjs83 New Member

I have Heinie straight eights on my G23 and really like them a lot.

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Glock night sights on my Glocks, Meps on the rest. I have one gun that will have to have Trijicons or none, as no one else makes sights for it.

6. fls348

fls348 New Member

I don't buy into the night sights at all.

I've been a LEO for 14+yrs now and have never had them nor ever felt the need to have them. Yes I have been in the mix a few times, still never felt the need to have them. In my experience night shootings are close enough for a point and shoot. I seriously think it's a placebo, if you feel like you'll be more safe then by all means buy them. I think most LEO's will tell you the night shootings they've been involved they didn't even look at their sights, I know I didn't. Most every stat you'll find shows conflicts are within 12ft, if you can't point shoot from 12ft., you need to be hitting the range more.

On my duty G17 I have a Hi-Viz green fiber optic on the front and on the rear is an Ameriglo .180" blacked out tactical sight. I happen to love this set up it just works for me.

On my off duty G19 it sports some basic Aro-Tek 3 dot sights filed out to open up the rear sight to a maximum width. And i'm seriously thinking about changing those to the same ones on my G17.

After being in the mix myself no one is ever going to convince me night sights are worth it. However, if you like them, buy them. If you feel you need them buy them. If you just think they look cool buy them. I'm only going off my own personal experiences. Don't everyone go slamming me, I'm not saying they're worthless, there just worthless to me............

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. No LEO should be using their sights. If they are they need more range time. Night sights assist with target aquisition simply by letting your eyes know where the tip of the gun is.

As someone also in LE for nine years, I can tell you from hundreds of night drills and real world experience that in very low light adreneline situations the night sights make it seemless to know where the gun is pointing. You would be surprised how much shooting is effected without them when your vision is low or impaired.

Even at 12 feet you better know where that bullet is going. I have been in light so low i can see the outline of my target and the flash of his muzzle but barely the outline of my own gun. Personally i would rather have a night sight telling me that my shadow gun is on my target as opposed to simply stari g at the target and hoping my gun is on target.

Be a real shame to miss and sail a round into a childs bedroom or something over a few bucks for a night sight.

8. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Truglo and trijicon are the ones ive used so far...

9. fls348

fls348 New Member

As I said I'm not trying to get anyone to not buy them, fact is I've tried them they did nothing I'll stick with what I use. I think for most it gives them peace of mind and if that's what they need to feel confident then I think it's well worth the money for them. Some just need the tacticool effect I think? Me I'm perfectly comfortable and more than willing to put everything on the table with the set up I use. I guess discipline and plenty of practice weighs in as well...........

10. Discipline and practice should trump all.

11. Rodger

Rodger New Member

The Truglo TFO are superb at night and day..They shine very bright in dark or dusk, and in the sun they light up just as much. They are about $150, but worth every penny. I mounted them myself. It was very easy and mounted perfectly.

12. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    I like the TruGlo TFO as well. First thing I bought for my G17 at Bass Pro for $99.99. Great in the day and in the pitch dark.

13. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Mepros, they outshined my trijicon and glock factory night sights from the start, and now being about 12 or 13 years old they still out shine my other brands.

14. Got factory Glock nights on mine made by Mep love em.