Affordable AR's

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by PUNISHER, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Good Morning,
    I'm want to help a buddy of mine select his first AR. He really doesn't have a ton of money to spend on one. He wants, if possible to spend under a $1000. I told him he may be able to find something in the range that is decent but I will have to ask around. My self I spent a nice amount more then that for mine.
    Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

2. psoasmajor01

psoasmajor01 New Member

Depends on his uses but I picked up my first ar a smith and Wesson mp15 sport for $525. It's been 100% reliable
    And at the price it leaves room to buy a nice Handguard and or optic

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum

3. Home defense and the occasional range outing.

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

The Core 15 is another good choice. I have had zero failures with mine. Mid $700 range.

5. How did you get yours so cheap?

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Our LGS sells them for $720.00

7. G1923

G1923 AK171920

PSA often has complete uppers as well as complete lowers on sell. I built mine for under $1000. AR prices are dropping like Obama's approval rating lol. Just do research. The LE6920 by colt is now easily found under $1000. Might start there. DPMS also makes good entry level AR's...hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  8. I have spent soooo much money at PSA, I could probably fund a small country. Just be prepared for some slower than molasses shipping...

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Member:VCDL,GOA,NRA,NSSF,Oathkeepers
    G19/4,G29/4

9. PS Dont buy the PTAC crap...

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Member:VCDL,GOA,NRA,NSSF,Oathkeepers
    G19/4,G29/4

10. surferdk

surferdk New Member

I built a $1200.00 ar for 630.00. Just do your research and take your time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  11. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Details, please.

I'm building my first with an Anderson Mfg complete lower ($180) and most likely a PSA complete upper. Mine should be in the $600 neighborhood as well.

Not bad, considering DPMS and the like were going for 3x that eighteen months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Forum

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Member

Check PSA's site a few times a day because things change quickly. Especially a great deal goes out of stock quickly.

Check their "rifle kits". They come with everything you need except stripped lower usually for a around $400 on sale.

Their "premium" is great quality," PTAC"has a bad reputation but supposedly quality has improved a lot in the last 6 months or so. The "Freedom" line is pretty new and their haven't been very many range reports on them yet ( jury still out).

Sent from my iPhone

13. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

You can not get an affodable AR...the need to spend on it never ends! Therefore not considered affordable regardless of the original spend:D:eek:

14. surferdk

surferdk New Member

Here she is

Attached Files:

15. Jaywalk

Jaywalk English Mother#%!^#@! Supporter

Surferdk, I think Easy CZ meant what upper, where did you get it, what lower, where did you get it, we're they stripped etc.

16. surferdk

surferdk New Member

Research research research. You have to know what you are buying before you buy it. There are thousands of websites that sell ar parts. I'm not going to tell you everything. Look around and read articles. Don't look at sites that are trying to sell you something. Do it yourself. Build your own gun not mine.

17. TheFactor

TheFactor The Glock Factor

So true although my goal is the first year only to buy ammo and more mags and shoot it as much as I can . Then after that it's game on !!
    At least that's the plan :D

18. TheFactor

TheFactor The Glock Factor

I ended up going with a Colt LE6920MP FDE . I've done a lot of research and there's so many great AR15's out there so it's a very difficult choice . Some of my reasons are resale value should be very good "although I didn't buy it to sell ". I Also figured by the time I bought a different one for 600 to 800 and added some of Magpul gear I wanted I would of been able to have the Colt . Not talking about a build but other great ARs like Spikes Tactical which was another of my choices .
    Colt pretty much is a bench mark for other manufactures to try and match or exceed . I like how every one of colts barrels are tested, not just one out of 50 or 100 and called good . Every part pretty much has to meet colts standards "mil spec "and if it's good enough for the Military then it's sure is good enough for me lol and makes me even more proud to own one .
    USA FTW !! :)
    Again there's so many great choices but I just had to have a Colt . I'm new to ARs so I have much to learn but I chose a Colt and thus far very happy with my decision.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

19. This is the best answer in my opinion, because it's hard to go wrong here unless you pay too much. A 6920 can be had for under $1000, and their reliability, reputation, and resalability are recognized by almost everyone.

If the buyer wants to stay significantly under $1K, I'd look at an M&P, again, for the three "R's" mentioned above.

I realize lots of folks buy Bushys, DPMS, Stags, et al, and have very good luck with them, but the M&P, for the same price, seems to have a more solid industry and user reputation. Mi don't know why, but again, all things being equal, I'd want to buy the more "known, respected, and most importantly, re-sellable" firearm