advise for trading glocks

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by matthew1201, Jan 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

I'm thinking of trading my less then 6 month old g19 gen 4 for a g27 gen4. If my gun is in like new condition (with less then 500 rounds fired), completely stock, with all original accessories included, is that a fair swap for someone else's g27 gen 4 in about the same condition as mine with all the original accessories? I have 150 rounds of academy brand 9MM, would I need to throw all or some of that in to make it a fair deal? Would the other person need to throw something else in to make it fair for me? I'm guessing that all depends on whether the other persons gun is totally stock or if there are after market accessories installed.

I'm thinking it would be safer to trade for a g27 then to sell my g19 and go looking for a g27 ? I've heard there are huge backorder lists, and i'd really rather not have to wait 6 months to get a g27, or pay more then i should have to because of the high demand.

The 19 is my first pistol ever, and i kind of feel bad losing it, but its a glock, i can always get another 19 and it will work and feel exactly the same. My thinking is for CC it would be easier for me to conceal a 27 then a 19. Also with this hi-cap mag ban possibly being restarted, it seems silly to have a bigger gun that has just the same about of bullets as the smaller gun. I realize my 15 round mags are grandfathered in, but if something were to happen to them i'd have to replace them with 10 round mags (if the ban is still in effect). Plus my grandfather reloads .40s so reloaded they'd probably cost the same or less as 9mm, and bigger bullets are better, if you can only carry a certain number of them, i would think.

If the hi-cap mag restrictions are put back in place, will we still be able to buy the glock factory +2 round mag extensions? that would put the g27 mags at 11, which is more then is allowed, if the law is passed again.

Thanks in advance

2. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

If they impose restrictions on high capacity magazines, your gun would be grandfathered in (unless something changes), so you could carry 15 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of 40 caliber in the 27. The 19 is a very concealable gun. I carry a 23 every day. It's all in what you feel comfortable with.

3. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

I have zero experience CCing a pistol, but I feel like it would be easier for me to conceal a pistol if it was attached to my ankle, and I don't think I could CC a 19 on my ankle. Does anyone have any experience CCing a 19 on there ankle? Wouldn't a 26/27 be easier to conceal on the ankle then a 19?

I've started carrying my fixed short kabar on my ankle and its a lot easier to get to and put back and sit down and move around, then it was when I had it horizontal on my belt. It's just I cant't really get it out in a hurry with it it attached to my ankle under my pants, but that's the only downside (i can think of) to huge lists of upsides. I realize that CC a knife and a CC pistol are two different things. But that's the only tidbit of experience I have CC anything.

4. txproud

txproud New Member

And if you're going for fewer rounds but bigger bullet the why not a 45ACP (G30).

5. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I tried carrying a 27/33 on the ankle. No dice. I carried a .38 5 shot revolver for years on the ankle. The Glock was never comfortable and it didn't conceal well, as compared to a J frame Smith & Wesson.

6. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

Well I thought of that, but I wasn't sure I could evenly trade a g19 gen 4 for a g30. I figured the g27 would be more in the same price range as the g19 then the g30. correct?

Also i'm left handed and i think they just released the g30 in gen 4, so i'd have to wait for a while for it to be released, right? while the gen 4 g27 has been out for a while now.

7. tmbart77

tmbart77 New Member

The G30 would def. Cost more unless you traded for a used possibly or the person would rather have a 9mm over the .45. Don't make the size of the bullet a reason to get rid of the G19. It has nothing to do with size. The technology in ammo has grown and the 9mm can cause just as much damage as any other caliber. My choice, I would never give up my G19 for anything. It's comfortable, holds 15 rounds, and a perfect sized weapon. Like others said, you'll be grandfathered in, far as any bann that could happen.

8. tmbart77

tmbart77 New Member

Also ammo is cheaper and usually easier to find. I don't own any .40`s nor probably would ever, it's personal choice of mine and prefer 9mm and the .45.

9. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

So you think it would be just as easy for me to CC a 19 then a 26/27?

I'd do love my 19, and if I wasn't going to CC I would not trade it, but I don't have the money for two guns, and my focus is shifting from range gun to CC gun. And your right 9mm is normally cheaper and easer to find, but since most of the cops use .40 and my grandfather reloads for .40, I don't think it's availability will ever be a problem and the reloaded price for them should be at or below the factory price of 9mm

10. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

If you have a LGS that employs off duty or retired LE, go in and see what these guys are using for their off duty carry rig. What works for me may not work for you. I carry a 23 which is a 19 chambered in 40 everyday. BTW, the LGS is like a doughnut shop, there's always LE close by. Come to think of it, I can't ever remember a gun or doughnut shop being robbed in the area. Hmmmm?

11. joeyp17

joeyp17 New Member

Never get rid of your first handgun... Thats your cherry popper youll regret that for sure

12. biggs9599

biggs9599 New Member

That's for true. Lol. I still miss my good ol gen 1 17

13. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

off-topic: Actually we just had a gun store robbed here in Houston a month or so ago. But it was over night, so no one was there to protect it. But it is a rare thing, your right.

But thats a good idea, thanks

14. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

We had someone try to break into one (LGS) here several months ago. I was there the next day unaware of what had happened. When the alarm tripped evidently everyone from everywhere converged and it didn't sound like a festive occasion. I think they gained access about the time everyone arrived. HOORAH!!

15. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Is there any reason why you don't jus CC that 19 in a IWB holster... like a crossbreed supertuck?

Carrying on your ankle is the last place you want your primary carry.

16. Power

Power Proud Owner

I love both of those choices and will probably buy a 27 one day. However I would not trade at this time. If the AWB dies then the trade would be pretty equal. But right now I would not trade it, the mags in the 19 may be worth more than the gun this time next year.

17. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

I'm not as skinny as I should be, unfortunately, so I don't think IWB would be nearly as comfortable for me as an ankle holster. But I've never tried IWB with a 19. I'm going to take my 19 with me to a gun show tomorrow and try an IWB holster to see if I can make it comfortable and concealable. I'll also look for a ankle holster and see if a 19, for me, can be concealed that way. If I can't find a way to comfortable way to conceal my 19 then I'd really like to look into getting a 27 since it's smaller.

I haven't gotten my CHL yet so I haven't taken the classes yet and learned all there is to know about the CC laws in Texas, so maybe my logic is flawed. But I'm thinking if I have to defend myself, I would think it would be better to find cover first before I just pull a gun and start shooting, just incase the person I'm defending myself from pulls a gun I didn't see and starts shooting back. Which means to me that I will have the few extra seconds to pull my pants leg up and pull my pistol after I find cover.

Maybe my thinking is flawed, I have no experience, but from just thinking of situations that seems logical to me.

18. matthew1201

matthew1201 New Member

So I should just find some way to CC my 19, comfortable or not, and see what happens with the AWB? It it don't go away i could sell one or two mags (of the three that came with it) and have enough to buy a 27 (if I could find one). And if it does go away, and i can't find a comfortable way to CC my 19 (and i still don't have enough money for 2 guns) THEN I could trade it for a 27.

19. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

I have tried various holsters including a behind the back rig that I wear when riding my bike. I like this but it sucks when you have to sit in a car or in a booth in a restaurant. I bought an ankle holster for my G26/27 but didn't feel comfortable with it, and wearing motorcycle boots made it pretty much useless. I finally found a DeSantis Speed Scabbard rig that works well for me. I use it in conjunction with a nylon Wilderness belt. It seems to cant the grip of the gun a bit towards my torso and doesn't print when I'm wearing a t-shirt or pull over type sweat shirt over it. I seldom fancy dress, so this rig works great for me.

Attached Files:

20. Power

Power Proud Owner

I am the same, not much experience with CC. I watched a bunch of videos on youtube and now carry IWB. If you really need it, IWB or OWB is quickest and easiest.