Advice on Spring Weight

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Green-Water, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

Hello All,

I need some advice on recoil spring weights for my 17. I am getting ready to use Bullet Works 115 gr IDPA rounds in the near future. They suggest using a lighter recoil spring but don't specify which weight. I am thinking a 13 lb. spring will do the trick but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thank you!!

2. BORIS

BORIS New Member

I would work my way down instead of a huge jump like that. Try a 15 first, a 13 might not have enough power to overcome the strength of the magazine spring.

If you drop the weight on the recoil spring too much the factory striker spring will work against it as it cocks the rest of the way. You would also have to drop the striker spring weight too. They are set from the factory to be compatible. If you drop recoil spring weight you will have to drop striker spring weight to work proper and that may lead to light hits.

You might get away with 15 but be prepared for weak lockups. Any debris in the barrel hood area will keep it from going into battery all the way.

Just remember to test before running it. And there is an easy test to tell if its too weak. This test also tells you when its time to replace the factory RSA.

Clear the gun. THREE TIMES. Be safe, always. Point the gun up and dryfire it. While holding the trigger down the entire time of the test while pointed straight up, cycle the slide all the way and slowly cycle the slide cocking it. If it has a weak lockup or does not lock up at all the RSA needs to be replaced. If you added a lighter recoil spring on purpose and the lockup is weak or it dont lockup you will need a lighter striker spring

Hope that helps.

3. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

Thank you BORIS. That was a tremendous help!!