advice on selling firearm

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by rickjames, Jun 3, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

So if I sell locally what should I do for the selling process besides collecting cash and handing thr gun over?
    Written agreement?
    What if the guy/girl is a felon? How would I know?

2. dougster

dougster New Member

Check local laws in your state. I would at least have them sign a bill of sale to show that they took possession on a certain date.

3. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I have never sold a gun outside of a gun store but I would:

- Only sell to someone who is a resident of your own state
    - Make a receipt, two copies really, for the sale (one for your records)
    - Ask to see a copy of their drivers license and write the number down the receipt
    - Get the buyer's signature on your copy with the date
    - In VA (where I live) I would also try only to sell to someone with a CCW and write that number down on the receipt to

In VA it is perfectly legal to sell FTF but it is always good to CYA in case the gun gets used down the line for something illegal.

4. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Best way to do it and be sure they are not a felon is only to sell to a CCW, licensed security, LEO, or active military.

Getting their drivers license number does no good. (at least here in AZ, drivers license number only gives your their driving record which does no good.)

Instant background checks are feasible but cost money.

You can have them sign a document stating that they are legally allowed to purchase the firearm and that should cover you if you find out that they were a felon, cause then he lied to you and you had no reason to think otherwise... This along with a receipt is the best case if they are not CCW, leo, security, or military.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  5. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

I agree with dougster, follow your state laws. Here in Indiana, we can buy and sell FTF with no hassle..most generally we ask to see a drivers license to insure the purchaser is an Indiana resident. And I usually ask for license to carry if they have it. Without that, I do a bill of sale so that I can prove I sold the gun. In most cases, the gun I am selling or trading is one I traded for to begin with anyway, and not purchased from a FFL. If I sell one that has been registered to me through an FFL dealer, I do the bill of sale to prove I no longer own or have the weapon. I do not know if the purchaser is a felon or not. There is no way of knowing unless he/she tells me or I know from past experience..I am an ex-LE. Most generally, persons who hang on gun forums and have been given good reputations from previous gun trades or sales are the ones I try to deal with. If you get a gut feeling that the person is not on the up and up, don't sell or trade, and if it makes you feel better, do a bill of sale!

6. dougster

dougster New Member

There are forms like this in the Internet to use. Just look for "firearm bill of sale. ". Good suggestion blackwolfcf.

7. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

If you have problems finding the forum let me know or send me a PM with your address and ill mail you some. I have a lot of them.

Excellent advice ;)

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I agree with all of the above, except getting their driver's license number. It does serve a purpose, should law enforcement ever come knocking looking for that firearm; you not only have a name to give them, but the DL number points them to a specific person and will give them an address to start with, whether it's current or not.

There could be a thousand John Smiths in the state and half of them could fall into the late-20's to early 30's age range you're able to give. A DL number gives them the exact John Smith with a DOB.

I always get and give a signed bill of sale, on which I record their name, address, DL#, my name & address and the make, model, caliber and serial of the gun. I also generally only sell to another CCW. So far I've not had a LEO, licensed security guard or military member to sell to.

Also, I always meet somewhere public. I usually go for some sort of shopping center and then meet at the edge/corner of the parking lot. It's public, but out of the way of people passing by who may freak about the gun.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Disagree completely. You get the DL number for purposes of identification if needed in the future not to determine whether or not they are eligible to own a weapon.

10. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

Sounds great guys. Thanks for all the info and I will look up a firearms bill of sales. I posted my Glock 17 gen4 for trade on armslist and had several people offer to buy it already. I'm skeptical though, or cautious which is good on my part.
    I will ask if they are have a ccw too.
    Again thanks for the help.

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Here in Phoenix, fake IDs are everywhere... If they are a bad person the ID is fake anyway.

I would feel safe getting name and address, if you want just take a picture of the ID.

If you really want to be thorough, have them fill out the same forms you would have to fill out at a FFL.

You can include SSN in the bill of sale if you want too... But if they are a bad person I would assume that any information they give you is fake.