Advantage Arms Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bradstaats, May 18, 2016.

1. bradstaats

bradstaats New Member

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Good 22 LR conversion kits

Yes. :D

Highly recommended.

My AA 22 LR conversion kits seem to prefer Remington Golden Bullet High Velocity cartridges... 36 gr @ 1280 fps or 40 gr @ 1255 fps (either one) seemed to work most consistently.

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019

3. grif

grif Member Supporter

I bought one a month or so ago for my Glock 26, wanted to use it as a training tool to help me shoot better, maintain using my G26 grip and trigger along with the added benefit of the ammo being cheaper.
    Well I took it to the range twice and have had nothing but major problems with it, what I was hoping to be a fun thing to shoot turned into a big headache and an even bigger disappointment.
    I used only the recommended 22lr and had failures to feed with Remington Golden bullets and failures to eject with Federal Automatch, CCI minimags fared better but even they had some FTF issues.
    The one positive I've had so far is that Advantage Arms has been very receptive in helping to solve the issues, first trying to figure it out through emails and then eventually I having me send it into them and have them try and solve the issue.
    My AA kit was mailed back a few days ago but I haven't received a reply email back regarding my question of what the problem(s) were. Hopefully it's fixed and I can enjoy plinking with the G26.

4. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

Ammo selection is critical with these kits. I had one years ago and it was very finicky as to what it would eat. I did finally solve the issue by examining several different brands of 22's before I found the issue. If you look at the rim on several brands of 22 ammo there are variations of sharpness of the rim area. Ammo that had a well defined rim would eject where as ammo with a more rounded profile on the upper side of the rim would not eject properly.
    AA always recommended CCI mini mags which were quite pricey back then.
    After examining the rims on several brands of 22 ammo I was able to find some that worked. I eventually sold the AA conversion and bought a 22 pistol for plinking. Why Glock has never made a 22 pistol is another one of those mysteries because it would sell like hotcakes.

5. rbbeers

Very important!

Yep! :D

Best regards,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. nickndfl

nickndfl Well-Known Member

They work great as long as you use hot ammo. Since .22 is inherently dirty you will get real familiar cleaning the gun because it will go about 500 rounds before it starts fouling. Then you need to tear down the slide completely.

7. rbbeers

Careful with the solvent!

And, be careful as to which 'cleaner' (solvent) you use, as the slides are painted cast aluminium or 'pot metal' and much more sensitive to cleaning solutions than are typical firearms. (Well... ten years ago they were.) ;)

Best regards,

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. rbbeers

For example...

[​IMG]

... the Remington cartridge has a somewhat sharper rim crimp as compared to the Winchester cartridge.

As one may expect, with my conversion kits, I have significantly fewer FTEs with the Remington cartridge than with the Winchester cartridge.

Hope this helps... :D

Best regards,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  9. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

Thanks Bob, most would assume that all 22 ammo is the same as far as brass goes but close examination proves otherwise. If you look at the extractor claw on the AA conversion slide you can see how a sharper rimmed cartridge would help with FTE's. The more rounded the rim especially on the top side the better chance of an FTE. And actually I had some Winchester 22 that had a better looking rim than some of the Remington stuff. My Sig mosquito was finicky about ammo just like the AA conversion. Needless to say I no longer own either one.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I love my Advantage Arms conversion kit for my G19. It is very finicky in its diet. Mine loves CCI Mini-Mags and Remington Golden Bullets. I haven't had success with anything else I have tried. But, I LOVE IT!

FPS-Brooklyn likes this.
  11. rickycjc

rickycjc New Member

What are OK cleaners and what aren't?

12. rbbeers

I use odorless mineral spirits. Nothing else. Works fine. Doesn't damage anything.

Best regards,

13. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

They are ok, but do not run 100%, even with hot ammo, especially going fast. You are better off to get a Ruger 22/45. I have run one of mine to over 60,000 rounds.