Adding revolver on my ccw

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Bammustafa, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

When I did my ccw class I thought I'd never carry a revolver but now I want to put my .357mag in my pack pack when I go hiking. I only got semi auto on my Nevada ccw license, anyone know if it's a pain to add revolver?

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I think I know but Happysniper1 may be the resident expert. We will see soon. I only have Nevada CCW rights because one of the CCW permits I have is from AZ.

3. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Not sure about revolvers, they changed the rules on automatics, you don't have to itemize them anymore. Happysniper would probably know, you might pm him if he doesn't pop up after a bit.

4. Garry

Garry New Member

You just need to qualify with a revolver, have your CCW instructor sign off saying you are proficient with it and go to the police station to add it on. It's either a $15 or $25 charge to add it onto your permit. .

5. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

Do they send me another card or just post it on the back?

6. Garry

Garry New Member

That's one thing I can't confirm. Are you in Clark county?

7. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

8. Garry

Garry New Member

Oh ok. The LV metro website has most of that info available. Maybe yours does as well. It's worth a look.

9. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Bamm:

Read your private message before i saw this, so i will put the info here also so the info is available for anyone.

Effective July 1, 2011 the State of Nevada changed a number of key items concerning CCW permits. Among them is that qualified firearms no longer need to be listed by make model and caliber for semiautos or simply revolver for any revolver. Qualifiying for one semiauto blanket qualifies you to carry ANY semiauto, and revolvers have been (at least for the last 8 years or so) just listed as "Revolver - YES". Another nice change is permitees approved after July 1 are excempted from paying the NICS check fee for FFL firearms purchases!

So, this is what you do: contact any certified instructor in Washoe County (see link "certifed instructors" under "get my CCW permit" from the Washoe County Sheriff's Office at www.washoesheriff.com ) and tell him/her you want to add revolver to your permit. There is no fee for this, and no classroom session. You go to the range, do the course of fire (minimum 25 rounds for revolver at a center body mass at 21 feet), get the qualification sheet, and take that to the SO.

At the SO, tell them you want to add a class (revolver) and present the qualification sheet. There is no other paperwork. The fee is $15, and you get a new card. They will not take a new ID photo unless you ask for it (no fee for this either). It is a walk-in process, no appointment, walk in and walk out with the new card.

There should be no fee for instructor (maybe a tip, like $5 or $10?).

I could recommend an instructor (I would do it but I am not in the US now) if you want, by PM.

Best time to go to SO is Wednesdays, only the Permit Section and Inmate Visiting are open, so the SO is not crowded.

You can verify all this by calling Lisa Lane at the Washoe County Sheriffs Office at (775) 328-3348.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

Thank you very much happysniper. Wish I did this when I took the class but it seems it's not so bad to add it

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Nope, it is not bad...$15 to the SO, gas to the range and SO and back, a box of ammo, and a tip for the instructor, plus the time involved.

Besides, it gives you a chance to shoot again, and shooting is always fun! :D

13. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Wow here in NC we are good for semi-auto or revolver from the start...makes me think if they should make you qualify with both?

14. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    In Texas if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver but if you qualify with an auto you can carry either.