Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Glock 17 gen 5. I am wanting to add a piciany rail in place of the front sight. I want to put a red dot sight on it. However, when I removed the rear sight I notice there are not any screw holes to attach my rail. Most of the videos I watched showed the glock 17 with pre-made holes for attaching plated and rails.

Do I need a gunsmith to drill the holes for my rail or plate? I am looking at the ail system from Stride Industries.
Any help would be appreciated.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Are you talking about this,

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is what I was thinking about getting
You can also buy a charging handle for about $9.00.
The Rail allows you to paint the dots on the back to use with front sights.
I think this is an affordable solution and would allow me to select a RDS that has rails.
The down side is the height of the optic. I have a limited budget and can't spend more for the parts than the gun costs.
Thanks

Rear Sight Mount for GLOCK™ Pistol
$54.95
SKU
SI-GSR

Add to Cart

The Strike Industries has added to its ever growing line of compatible GLOCK™ products with its SI Rear Sight Rail Adapter for the GLOCK™. The SI GSR is a tactical light weight, ultra sturdy, inexpensive solution for shooters wanting to add a rear sight to their Glock but don’t want to have to spend a huge sum of money to have one customized installed. It comes with a rail to mount any sight of your choice, screws to adjust height, and a back plate (Back Plate Locking System) to secure the rail and eliminate any movement from vibration. And if you choose to not use an optic, the rail has reference dots you can paint so you don’t have to remove the rail. For the competitive shooter, the rail is also compatible w/ a separately sold ambidextrous charging handle. Strike is always striving to create innovative solutions to push the envelope and give the user what they want with the most available options possible and we feel that the SI GSR is exactly that kind of solution!
COMPATIBILITY:
-GLOCK™ GEN3,4,5 standard frames
-Only OEM GLOCK™ slides
-SI Rear Sight Mount for GLOCK™ Pistol
NOT COMPATIBLE:
-With some non-OEM GLOCK™ aftermarket slides as there is no guarantee accurate rear dovetail size
-GLOCK™ G20,G21,G29,G30,G36,G40,G41
-GLOCK™ MOS slides
Skip to the end of the images gallery

Skip to the beginning of the images gallery

· Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Welcome to thr forum,Danzig gave you solid advice.

Reactions: Danzig

· Premium Member
3,629 Posts
That Strike thing puts the dot way, way too high. You want to mill the slide for your dot or get a dovetail adapter. It also looks like you have to remove it to get the slide cover of for cleaning.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
https://www.recovertactical.com/product/gr48-full-size-rail-for-the-glock-48/
Recover Tactical PCH Slide Picatinny Rail w/ Charging Handle for all Glock Double Stack 9mm Gen 1, 2, 3, 5
Would this be a viable option? I would not have to drills holes in the rear sight area. I know its a cheap way to go. and it would make the sight higher.

UTG super slim RMR mount would also be a good option Mentioned above. Just hate drilling on the new glock

Font Composite material Tool Auto part Machine

Thanks again for any information.

· Premium Member
10,872 Posts
My glock 17 gen 5 does not have holes under the rear sight. Are there different versions of the glock 17? Should I have a gunsmith install the holes and plate?
Thanks for any advice.
Using the UTG does not require any holes to be drilled, the two screws pictured bottom out in the dovetail slot.

Reactions: Danzig

· Premium Member
3,629 Posts
GR48 Full Size Rail for the Glock 48 - GR48 Full Size Rail for the Glock 48
Recover Tactical PCH Slide Picatinny Rail w/ Charging Handle for all Glock Double Stack 9mm Gen 1, 2, 3, 5
Would this be a viable option? I would not have to drills holes in the rear sight area. I know its a cheap way to go. and it would make the sight higher.
UTG super slim RMR mount would also be a good option Mentioned above. Just hate drilling on the new glock
Thanks again for any information.
There are no tapped holes on any Glock except for the MOS slide models. That PCH thing is way too high and you have to remove it to clean the slide (firing pin and safety plunger and extractor). UTG is just one of many dovetail adapters available between $20-$45. The screws in the adapter are for securing to the dovetail instead of a press fit like a normal sight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts