AD at home

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by hartgk01, May 25, 2012.

1. hartgk01

hartgk01 New Member

Have any of you experience an AD?
    I did tonight in the garage and my heart is still racing.
    Thank god no harm done.

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I have not hartgk01 but I will welcome you to our forum. Enjoy. If you get a minute go over to the intor. section and tell usa little about yourself and maybe some pictures of your glocks. Welcome

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Welcome to the forum!

Details on the AD? What caused it? Police called? Glad no one was hurt.

4. hartgk01

hartgk01 New Member

Cause?
    Absolute stupidity. I was in the garage getting ready to load up mags for tomorrow and I racked my 26 thinking there was no mag in there and pulled the trigger. I even have signs posted above my bench saying to "unload".
    I am not a novice, can't believe my stupidity. Good news is it will NEVER happen again.
    Let this be a lesson to everyone that there is stupid in the most experienced of us.
    At least it was in me.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Agreed… pretty stupid…. We all have our moments though… glad everything is ok. Stucko in the wall? or you hit something that need more fixing?

6. hartgk01

hartgk01 New Member

BTW I've been shooting for over 40 years without an issue. Thank goodness the only smart thing I did was point it in safe direction; only at an old chest of drawers that was going to the dump.
    Can't tell you how scared and embarrassed I was.

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Holy Crap! Sure am glad everyone is OK. Tough lesson eh?

8. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Glad everything is ok. :)
    And welcome to the Forum!

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

i can't imagine… i got yelled at once, we were out in the desert and called a cease fire, they went downrange immediately and i was still clearing the shotgun, then i got yelled at for handling the firearm while people were down range… only got seven years in on the shooting sports area...

10. Flairsr

Flairsr New Member

Was messing with my G21 and taking on the phone. Set the gun down came back and was about to start some dry fire excises when my son came in the room. I was showing him some basic safety drills, ALWAYS check the chamber. I racked the slide and a round flew out and hit me in the face. If he hadn't come in the room I would have had an AD. I told him that I didn't know the round was in there and that's exactly why we ALWAYS check the chamber. Good lesson for both of us.

11. Not stupid bud, just a lesson in life to remember that comfort is an enemy to most men.

Glad you are ok.

12. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

AMEN NUK! It can happen to anyone! Knock on Wood I have never had it happen to me but some people very close to me whom I consider very safe gun handlers have had AD's!

13. I have come close, in my case it was the one in a million round that didn't go off.

edit: in my adult life, see further down for my childhood OOPS

Twisted Monkey Customs
    www.twistedmonkeycustoms.com
    Polishing & Painting Services

14. Glock897

Glock897 Member

Agree 100%

15. hartgk01

hartgk01 New Member

Thank you
    I have to stop beating myself up. I just hope my mistake makes my friends here more safety aware.

16. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

No such thing as an accidental discharge, just negligent discharge. Good thing you and no one else were hurt.

17. No reason to beat yourself up. Lets go down the list of my friends and people I know that SHOULD be embarrassed and beat up:

Dropped his pants to #2 with XD .40S&W in waistband, hit tile floor shot past him and through the roof into the master bath, just missing his wife.

Playing with the gun like a child, shot himself in the foot on the couch.

Beating on SIG with a hammer trying to clear a jam, shoots truck cab

playing with taser, shoots self in face

I could probably go on.

18. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago, a friend and fellow officer came over to show me his new custom made .380 semi-auto, which I can't even remember who built it. We made it safe, and compared it to my Walther PPKS .380 for size and comfort. When we got done, my wife entered the room, assuming we were still playing with the unloaded handgun, but we were already done looking at them and reloaded both guns. She grabbed my friend's gun, pointed it at the TV and pulled the trigger, thinking it was still safe. Yep, she killed the TV, but since the gun was loaded with Glazer rounds, she hit the aluminum control bar flap below the TV, and destroyed it, but the bullet never penetrated the set.

This happened in the blink of an eye, and fortunately it taught me (and her) a very valuable lesson.

19. Yep things happen. I wasn't going to tell this one, but why not. I remember when I was super young. My dad bought a Glock 19 1st gen the second he could when they came to the states, he got it directly from Smyrna paid for by his department. Anyway I was so young that I grew up with that Glock, it was a tool to be respected by i stood in awe at the same time. Same with his Corvette.

When I turned 16 I was well into firearms, but never shot the Glock. That morning I had to go to a friends and my dad told me I was driving, and pulled the Corvette out. That was a great day and in the afternoon Dad took me out back and introduced me to the Glock 19. In the end, I was allowed to shoot it. I made the mistake of forgetting about the extra round, I thought 15 was it. I was raving about how awesome it was and kind of waving my arms around like an idiot. I said something like "the gangsta pistol!" and had it sideways like gang idiots, i pulled the trigger screwing around. Dad was distracted, and rightly enough thought it was all safe because I have always been VERY disciplined with guns.

The BANG scared the **** out of me, but not as much as dads face. I followed his gaze and there in the fiberglass front fender of his 1982 Chevy Corvette Limited Collectors Edition was a giant 9MM inflicted bullet hole.

It's in the two three worst days of my life. It almost ended as the #1 best.

20. hartgk01

hartgk01 New Member

I am a member of several different forums. I knew I had to "turn myself in" about my near disaster. I chose this one wisely as it is the friendliest forum I know of. Not one flame or what an a$$ hole.
    Thank you