Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm new to this forum . I have been shooting for a long time . Both competition and recreational . With recent events in Colorado , Texas and Wisconsin there has been a lot of coverage . While watching some news coverage of these events something bothered me . The media keeps referring to these lunatics as "active shooters " . This irritates me I was under the impression that they were nutjobs or sociopaths or to put it bluntly murderers .

I feel that those of us like many on this forum are the real active shooters . We are for 2nd amendment rights we vote we respect laws and human life . We also know that guns are not problem solvers they are tools . I think those of us in the gun community should make a statement about this . This is just my two cents . Would like to know your thoughts . Thanks for your time and kindness

Jimmy

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
I concur. We had a big discussion yesterday at my office.

Don't blame the tool, blame the idiot that used it incorrectly!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Welcome, Jimmy.

With you - the people in the news are murderers, not 'active shooters'. The reporters are just performing their roles of being 'active morons'.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
I don't know the origin of the term "active shooter". Law Enforcement has been using it since at least after Columbine. Alot of things changed in Law Enforcement after Columbine. There are active shooter classes and I figure the term trickled down to the media.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I concur. We had a big discussion yesterday at my office.

Don't blame the tool, blame the idiot that used it incorrectly!
TRUE!

I can't remember the author or the whole quote but it goes something like this.

There are no bad guns, there are no good guns, there are guns in the hands of bad men.

No one knows the intended use of every gun, that said we can only prepare for what we feel will be a threat. What we can envision to become a reality. We can train to react to what we are confronted with, and hope and pray that it is just training that is never needed. I try to stand ready.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
TRUE!

I can't remember the author or the whole quote but it goes something like this.

There are no bad guns, there are no good guns, there are guns in the hands of bad men.
"Let me make a short, opening, blanket comment. There are no 'good guns'. There are no 'bad guns'. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody — except bad people."

Charlton Heston, opening statement given in an interview on Meet the Press in 1997

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
First off I'm new to this forum . I have been shooting for a long time . Both competition and recreational . With recent events in Colorado , Texas and Wisconsin there has been a lot of coverage . While watching some news coverage of these events something bothered me . The media keeps referring to these lunatics as "active shooters " . This irritates me I was under the impression that they were nutjobs or sociopaths or to put it bluntly murderers .

I feel that those of us like many on this forum are the real active shooters . We are for 2nd amendment rights we vote we respect laws and human life . We also know that guns are not problem solvers they are tools . I think those of us in the gun community should make a statement about this . This is just my two cents . Would like to know your thoughts . Thanks for your time and kindness

Jimmy
I'm not sure what you are taking offense to. Are you offended because the words "active" and "shooter" were combined to describe this action?

http://www.definition-of.net/active+shooter

Seems like you are taking this whole thing out of context.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Active shooter is a term used by police forces to describe a person actively engaging in a shooting spree or murder. It does not apply to someone who actively goes to the range each week to shoot...

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
I'm not sure what you are taking offense to. Are you offended because the words "active" and "shooter" were combined to describe this action?

http://www.definition-of.net/active+shooter

Seems like you are taking this whole thing out of context.
I think the point he was making (if not the one I'm now making lol) is that using this term the way it was described could easily and logically be taken as anyone who actively shoots (i.e. shooting sports, target shooting, hunting) etc. therefore creating a false connection to the shooter in Colorado and other "active shooters" as described above.

According to the definition you provided, it would be correct for police to refer to him as an active shooter while the shooting was taking place, but not appropriate for reporters to use it after he had been apprehended and was in custody, because he is no longer active. Just like the media loves to do, they are most likely taking that term and redefining it to make the connection between crazed lunatics and us peaceful recreation shooters. Either that, or they are ignorant of the true meaning of the term or just don't care. Either way, it could be misconstrued by the average news viewer and create an unnecessary panic and fear that anyone who goes shooting regularly could at any moment pull out their gun and start shooting everyone in sight.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
As said previously, an "Active Shooter" is a law enforcement term, where it immediately provides the responding officer a different mindset. Normally, in a non-active shooting, a responding officer sets up a containment, calls in SWAT, and waits for someone with higher ranking to make the decisions. In an "Active Shooter" situation, action must be taken immediately, and this is practiced in all Southern California law enforcement agencies. You do what you have to do with who you have, get in, remove the threat, and rescue those inside.

Here is an article from our local newspaper printed yesterday:

GLENDORA - Just hours after a man gunned down two people near Texas A&M University on Monday, Glendora police officers were preparing for such a situation in their own city.

About a dozen officers got hands-on training at Citrus College as part of the Police Department's annual effort to get officers ready for an "active shooter" scenario locally.

The department looked to mass shooting sprees over the years - and three in the last few weeks - to make the training more realistic and effective. It incorporated booby traps, multiple suspects and outside noise such as loud music into the simulation.

The Columbine High School massacre in Colorado, in which two teens killed 13 people and themselves more than a decade ago, led to sweeping changes in law enforcement agencies' response tactics.

"We started realizing with the rise of these active shooter types of situations that officers need to immediately deploy into the situation," said Glendora Police Chief Robert Castro. "They can't wait. If we can get the officers to engage the suspect, it's going to save lives."

In the past, police officers waited for specialized units, such as a SWAT team, before proceeding. Now everybody is trained and provided with more advanced equipment. All 52 officers in Glendora will take part in training sessions this week, officials said.

"At Virginia Tech, one person was killed every 1.5 seconds, so what we've learned from that is we don't have the luxury of taking baby steps to the threat," said Cpl. Mike Henderson.

"We have to get in harm's way to provide protection to them."

In 2007, 32 people were killed in the Virginia Tech massacre, the deadliest shooting by a single gunman in the nation's history.

From last month's Aurora, Colo. shooting rampage, in which 12 people were killed and 50 others injured in a midnight Batman movie showing, Glendora police took away the importance of good communication with the fire department, officials said.

It took medics more than 20 minutes to arrive, according to news reports.

Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Dave Munoz said it is protocol that fire personnel not enter the area until it has been secured.

"If we go down then we're not available to PD or for any other victims, so it's going to be critical that our communication levels with you are right on target," he said during the training session.

Several fire officials observed the training at Citrus College.

As they did, police officers dressed in plain clothes and equipped with bulletproof vests and simulated hand guns with paint pellets worked in groups on a closed-off portion of the campus.

While some performed rapid deployment drills aimed at quickly "silencing the shooter" on the campus, other groups rotated into sessions about how to perform a building search and identify a booby trap.

Those sessions were followed by a full-blown simulation.

Some Glendora police officers have already had experience in an active shooter scenario. Glendora police Sgt. Michael Randazzo, who serves on a regional SWAT team, was among the first on scene when a Southern California Edison employee last year killed two managers and wounded two others before turning the gun on himself at the company's Irwindale office.

He reverted to his training, Randazzo said.

"We expect everything to happen, he said.

[email protected]

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see my time here is going to be short-lived . So when Whitman climbed that tower in Texas or when the North Hollywood shootout or the incident on the train in long island . The police departments said we got active shooters !!! Nope afraid not . This is a media buzzword pure and simple its used incorrectly .

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
jimmytwotimes said:
I can see my time here is going to be short-lived . So when Whitman climbed that tower in Texas or when the North Hollywood shootout or the incident on the train in long island . The police departments said we got active shooters !!! Nope afraid not . This is a media buzzword pure and simple its used incorrectly .
Didn't you read the entire thread? Law Enforcement developed the term. It was a response to Columbine. It changed the way LE trains and responds to these situations. The incidents you point out happened prior to Columbine. As said before the media picked up on the lingo and started using it. Whether the media uses it correctly or not doesn't matter to LE. The media calls just about any semi auto rifle an AK47. The media will do whatever they want. After every recent mass shooting they've said immediately the shooter was a Tea Party member. So I think "active shooter" is going to be used until they find something else they like better.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
havasu said:
Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. This member requested his membership be removed, so he won't be around to ask him anything else.
Huh??? :confused:

That's wierd... A regular person would want answers, a troll would want to make a big deal about everything... This doesn't fit in either!!!

:confused:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.