Act of Valor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ROYALE-W-CHEESE, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

I've always been grateful for and respectful to all our men and women who serve to protect our liberties and freedoms. This movie just emphasizes in a first-hand way what one platoon goes through in "another day at the office."

And it's a helluva thrill ride. OORAH!

2. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

So, it the movie as good as it looks?

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yea...I'm looking forward to seeing this movie !

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Can't wait to see it myself!

I am told the portrayals are accurate, and as an added bonus, the "bad guys" are the real bad guys in the Philippines!

5. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Well, it's definitely not an Oscar nom but then again I don't think Clooney ever held it tight covering his team beneath a ghilli suit. Not in real life anyway.

The "actors" in the platoon are real SEALs and it shows. It shows in their acting (ha!) but it definitely shows in their ops work, which is the reason any of us would want to watch it.

For any modern FPS gamers out there, there is a lot of helmet-cam familiarity looking down sight through a red dot. The storyline is also very COD-esque (which is all I'll say about that, to avoid spoiling).

6. Cant wait to see it, looks fantastic

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Took my two daughters to see Act of Valor this evening.

In a word, LEGIT.

No spoilers here, but let me share this: one daughter came away shaking inside, said she had tears in her eyes...she has a friend who ships off to Boot on Monday (tomorrow). My other daughter said it was the kind of movie, and the kind of message, that would make her want to enlist. She won't though, because she fears the physical agility requirements, and I respect that. It has been a topic at home on-and-off since 9/11/01. But she, too, was crying.

Especially (and you will know what I mean when you see it) when they scroll the "list". My youngest was digging her fingers into my arm. She almost went into the Navy, with a (practice) ASVAB score of 99.

And, (reference my above post), I was steered wrong: the bad guys in the Philippines are not the same, but close in the sense of muslim extremist fanatics, but led by someone else. This just happened to have bad guys from the Philippines.

It brought to mind the lines that are spoken, before the award is given, you know, the one with an inverted star, hanging from a baby-blue ribbon with white stars on it, and they say it was for "Conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party."

Unfortunately, too many of those who wear our Country's uniform, give the ultimate sacrifice but under conditions that do not meet the criteria of the award. This is wrong. Just ask the guys left behind.

Great movie guys. If you would watch it for the content, the message, it is worth it. If you want COD-like shoot-em-ups, it is worth it. If you want Academy-award winning performances, watch something else. This movie is too close to the "real thing", yes, some literary license thrown in, but still it is more real world than Hollywood, if that makes any sense.

Some graphic scenes, hence the R rating, but it is nothing that kids don't see when they play MOH or COD.

Highly recommend.

8. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

Im anxiously waiting to see this movie with my gf here soon. I have great respect for our Men and Women who serve our Country here and abroad. Unfortunately I'm not able to serve my country due to a severe house fire when I was a baby and ended up losing a finger on my non shooting hand. So, I honor these brave souls any way I can and have the utmost pride to call myself an American. This movie gives the American people a closer look to what our Special Ops teams do. God Bless them and thank you all.

9. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I cant wait to see this. Our son went on Friday with his fellow poolees and dates and they all thought it was amazing.

10. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I just returned from seeing this movie. I give it a two thumbs up! My G/F left there sobbing because of a funeral scene, but it may have brought back painful memories since her husband was killed soon after his retirement at the PD.

I do have to comment how proud I was to see our guys doing what they do best. Anyone who is against military spending should see this movie!

11. Man... sounds like a great movie, I definitely need to go see it asap