Acronyms and abbreviations used in the forum, any dictionary avail?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cutlass327, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

Obviously I am new to this forum, and there are many abbreviations and other "lingo" used here that can make a newbie frustrated when these are used too many times in a thread. Some are obvious, others are not.

Is there a way to make a 'sticky' with the commonly used ones and what they stand for?

2. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Don't feel stupid, just ask. Most everyone on here will give you a friendly answer. I do agree though, that would be a good idea.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hey, Cutlass327, WELCOME!

(if you post a *Hi there* in "Introductions", everyone else on the Forum will have a chance to say Hi right back at ya!)

Anyways, it is vital that you remember that over here YOU ARE AMONG FRIENDS!, so if someone posts something you do not understand (due to acronyms, lingo, spelling, etc), feel free to post back a request for clarification. Or, if you do not feel comfortable "putting it out in public", you can PM (means Private Message) the person that posted the article in question. Note first the radio button on the left of the post, with poster's ID and so on: if the round button is green, poster is online and may answer soon, if it is grey, poster is offline and may be a while before you get an answer. To send a PM, click the poster's name and a dropdown menu shows up, and you can select Send Private Message. Simple!

The Forum offers up facts as well as opinions, so do not be wary of sounding out your opinions or experiences in whatever thread, join the conversation! And don't be bashful about asking what so-and-so-meant when he said such-and-such.

Again, Welcome!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

We really should create a dictionary of commonly used abbreviations and post it as a sticky.

5. There are so many, it would take somebody an hour to try and type them all up.

Best option is to just ask when you see one.

Here are a few
    IWB in waist band (conceal carry method, gun inside of belt)
    OWB outside belt carry

SD,HD self defense (when carrying), home defense (when not).

CC concealed carry

CHL, CCP, CCL - concealed handgun license, concealed carry permit or license, etc.

IMO/IMHO in my opinion, in my honest opinion

AFAIK as far as I know

CRWPFT - crazy right wing paranoid f---tard

I made that last one up, but wouldn't be surprised if it catches on amongst the more moderate users.

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, I am not a fan of abbreviations. I like it spelled out, even though it takes a few seconds longer.

(IMHO - In my humble/honest opinion)

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

a few more common ones

FTE failure to eject

FTF failure to feed

YMMV your mileage may vary

IIRC if I recall correctly

EDC every day carry

8. That too ;)
    Thanks...

9. cutlass327

cutlass327 New Member

I have most of the common forum abbreviations. Just ones like the ND, AD and such. I've figured out accidental discharge, but not ND.

And sometimes it is just a pain to post on my phone, since that is my common device for the forums...

10. bhale187

ND is negligent discharge, which many of us contend is what almost all ADs really are.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Here's a couple you may find here and there:

ZA - Zombie Apoclaypse. The fiction that zombies will spread and hordes of them will be out to eat your brain. Euphemism for the collapse of society.

SHTF - Sh*t Hits The Fan. The day the ZA starts.

GOOD - Get Out Of Dodge (meaning leave the vicinity, real quick!; related to Bug-out bags)

Bugout bag - bags of supplies already packed and ready. What you grab when SHTF and it is time to GOOD 'coz the ZA is here.

You may already know about FMJ and JHP bullets, but Z-Max ammo is a new one: made by Hornady, and marketed as a Zombie killer.

Preppers, also known as Doomsday Preppers, are people who have prepared a "disaster" plan, usually involving packing bugout bags at the ready for when SHTF.

:D

12. bhale187

a couple more I forgot

BOB=bug out bag

IBTL in before the lock (a touchie subject that is likely to get closed by mods)