Glock Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago I gave the grandson a Remington 870 Ducks Unlimited Mississippi edition 12 gauge. Nice shotgun. Very light, pump action, 28" ventilated rib barrel, shoots up to 3" magnums. It had been leaning (fully loaded) in a corner of my dad's closet for years and I got it when he croaked.
We've taken it out to the range a few times and shot clay pigeons with it, well the grandson shoots them - I just shoot "at" them, :) and he turned out to be very good with it.
Anyway, today his dad took him goose hunting for the first time and they both bagged a goose, though the grandson got his in the first flight that came over.
Here's a pic of the grandson with his goose and the 870.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............
Camouflage Military camouflage Sky Plant Tree
Wood Office supplies Office equipment Font Hardwood

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's going to take a while for his grin to fade. :) His father was impressed when he took the 870 over to show it to him. It's a nice shotgun anyway and the little bit of Ducks Unlimited adornment adds some to its looks without being flashy like the gold decorated ones.
It feels way lighter than my old 12 gauge Winchester model 12 and that ventilated rib really helps to pick up and hold targets.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,018 Posts
I reckon one of the best things about being a Grand Father, is having Grandkids to teach to shoot! They are that busy enjoying 'emselves. They don't notice that us Oldies aren't as good a shot as when we were young! To say nothing of watching the excitement of shooting and hunting in their eyes! I've just got back from a trip up north. My eldest Grandson and my Dad accompanied me. It was the first time my Grandson has hunted camels and my Dad's last time he will probably do it! For me and the Old Man it was just another 'day in the office'! For the young bloke though, it will be something he'll remember and bore his mates down in Adelaide (where he attends University ) It was funny as every night round the fire, he relived every shot he'd taken during the day!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reckon one of the best things about being a Grand Father, is having Grandkids to teach to shoot! They are that busy enjoying 'emselves. They don't notice that us Oldies aren't as good a shot as when we were young! To say nothing of watching the excitement of shooting and hunting in their eyes! I've just got back from a trip up north. My eldest Grandson and my Dad accompanied me. It was the first time my Grandson has hunted camels and my Dad's last time he will probably do it! For me and the Old Man it was just another 'day in the office'! For the young bloke though, it will be something he'll remember and bore his mates down in Adelaide (where he attends University ) It was funny as every night round the fire, he relived every shot he'd taken during the day!
How hard are camels to bring down? Looks like full grown ones vary from mule deer to elk size. There used to be some wild ones in the desert area around Palm Springs California. Descendants of the ones the army and others had tested for desert transport.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,018 Posts
How hard are camels to bring down? Looks like full grown ones vary from mule deer to elk size. There used to be some wild ones in the desert area around Palm Springs California. Descendants of the ones the army and others had tested for desert transport.
Hat Camel Working animal Adaptation Landscape

That's a Chap,I know who runs Camels. Those 2 are bulls and his 6 foot 2.
With the damned things it's shot placement ! I like to get them in the head half way between the eye and the ear! failing that I go for the base of the skull/neck! Chest shots are effective you aim just in front or just behind the shoulder! For the average hunter I always say a .303 or 30-06 is adequate out to about 200 yards. Personally for years I've used either something like a 22-250 0r 6mm. For a wounded pissed off creature .375 ,45-70, 458 is the game changer! Personally the 45-70 is my choice as in lever action it makes for fast follow up shots! When a camel senses danger they face the source and keep their head down ,which makes for a bloody hard target if your facing them! My Grand son wounded one at about 200 yrds and I was backing him up with my marlin. It took me 3 shots to put it down for the count (at about 100 yards when it dropped)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 262877
That's a Chap,I know who runs Camels. Those 2 are bulls and his 6 foot 2.
With the damned things it's shot placement ! I like to get them in the head half way between the eye and the ear! failing that I go for the base of the skull/neck! Chest shots are effective you aim just in front or just behind the shoulder! For the average hunter I always say a .303 or 30-06 is adequate out to about 200 yards. Personally for years I've used either something like a 22-250 0r 6mm. For a wounded pissed off creature .375 ,45-70, 458 is the game changer! Personally the 45-70 is my choice as in lever action it makes for fast follow up shots! When a camel senses danger they face the source and keep their head down ,which makes for a bloody hard target if your facing them! My Grand son wounded one at about 200 yrds and I was backing him up with my marlin. It took me 3 shots to put it down for the count (at about 100 yards when it dropped)
Tough critters. Good thing I have rifles chambered in .270 Win, 30-06, and 45-70 if they ever start popping up around Cheyenne. :) I wonder what the local buffalo herd would think of them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts