a few essentials

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rickjames, Jul 6, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

Just ordered a glock mat, tool, a slug plug for my 23 & a pachymr grip.
    The slug plug won't be in till Monday I think.

ForumRunner_20120706_214152.jpg

I had to make the ammo can look better.

ForumRunner_20120706_214214.jpg

2. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Nice, that plano is going to be good for storing extra glock parts

3. Brandan86

Brandan86 New Member

Good collection. I have been looking into getting a teardown mat, and dissassembly tool.

4. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Rickjames, have you looked at the Hogue Handall grip before? I have one on my G19 and love it, but I see a lot of folks with the pachmyr grips...have you tried both before? Just wondering if there is a better grip out there than the Handall that I should try?

As for the other stuff...I'm jealous about the mat! Looks like I'll be ordering one for me too!!

5. rickjames

I have not tried one but I'll be getting one for my 19 once I buy it. I dont even have my 23 frame back from nuk yet, so I cant try that either.
    I did read that the hogue is a wider/thicker grip so that's why I went with the pachymr for starters.

6. Miniquik

Miniquik New Member

I coundn't get the hogue grip off my 23gen2 fast enough. There was a finger sized gap between th grip and the back strap, right where i place my hand.

7. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

You are correct, the palm swells on each side do make it a bit wider, but with my large hands it gives me a bit better purchase on the grip with the palm of my hand...post a report when you do get it...I'm interested to hear how you like it.

8. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Not sure if you had it on right...just checked mine and it is a nice tight fit...with no gaps or otherwise...any pictures of the fiasco??

9. iShoot

iShoot New Member

Do you have any problems with the fit on the Glock? Just curious because both have the finger grooves.

10. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

The Hogue Handall was originally made for the glock. The packaging even states "fits all Glocks and other similar hand guns" (or something like that). The inside of the Handall has reverse grooves to infill the ones from the factory, and then it has it's own molded into the rubber grip. As for fit, my wife doesn't like it because of the wider palm swells, but for my larger hands it is a real comfortable fit.

11. Miniquik

Miniquik New Member

I'll get it out and put it on and post a pic in the am. Also i recall having difficulty with mag changes. Some rubber hung down and stopped the mag from fully inserting, and when i moved the grip up it interfered with the mag release. Maybe a gen2 thing?
    Fiasco describes it perfectly. Cheers!

12. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

The Hogue grip was designed for gen.1, and 2 Glocks. It provides finger grooves, because there isn't any on gen.1, or 2. It can be used on all Glocks, but starting with gen.3 Glocks come with finger grooves. This is when I use pachmyer grips. They are designed to fit over the factory finger grooves. I use both brands depending on generation of Glock.

13. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    When those Hogue grips came out a bunch of officers got them. After awhile some would tear. They fell out of favor with most because of the tearing and moving around on the gun. Granted that was in the 90's and the product may have improved.

14. Lucian_253

Sorry on the Pachmeyer I meant to say they have cut outs for factory grooves.

15. iShoot

iShoot New Member

Thanks for all the information, I'm going to order one now! :D

16. rickjames

Amazon prime (wives school discount on membership) free two day shipping on everything but the plug.

17. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

That makes sense, though I wonder if they have updated the design, cause the one I just recently purchased said something about having recesses at the interior of the grip sleeve to accommodate the factory grooves in the grip...can't recall the exact verbiage, but along those lines...have you seen anything like that with the new ones? I'd pull mine off, but I'm afraid I won't be able to actually remove it without destroying it!!!

@Danzig The tearing issue also makes sense...I tried to install one and did not heat if up with a blow dryer prior to installing and the material tore. I have since started using a blow dryer and I makes the material much more flexible. I have noticed hat once installed it has a REALLY tight fit, so the edges don't seem to get snagged on mine at all, but that may just be me.

@Miniquik As for the mag not seating properly, the directions do describe trimming the bottom edge if necessary...mine slipped right up to the bottom of he mag release button, and the bottom edge of the new grip sleeve was about 1/8" above the bottom of the grip all the way around...no trimming required. Perhaps on sub compact frames this would be a problem, but I haven't seen it on the compact G19 or full sized G17.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  18. Lucian_253

Here is a gen.2 G-17 with Hogue, and a gen.3 27 with Pachmeyer.

image-1288479656.jpg

19. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

How do you like your Pachmeyer grips? I've seen a lot of them, but have not yet tried them...no problems for you?

20. Lucian_253

I really like them on my gen.3's. I don't like how the Hogue grip makes the handle thicker in my hand. The Pachmeyer grips are not as sturdy, but they are more comfortable. On my 27 I put one of those precut grip tape stick on sets, then the Pachmeyer grip to make sure it wont adjust on its own. I haven't had any problems, and I love it. The grip tape was just an extra precaution, probably don't even need it.