9mm ammo do's and don'ts?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by datbuenoG19, May 19, 2012.

1. datbuenoG19

datbuenoG19 New Member

hey guys, just got my G19 9mm today. any tips on what brands or types of ammo to stay away from? i dont want to tear up my brand new glock. i plan on just shooting at the range, nothing fancy. i just dont know what to think because some people say "glocks will eat anything!" then some people say "wolf will destroy your glock, be careful what you put through it!" so im coming to who i feel knows glocks best, you guys! thanks for any tips and advice :D

2. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

There's not really anything to stay away from. Just shoot whatever you have or can afford. Some people say steel ammo wears the gun out but it's a mild steel compared to barrel. I've shot everything but usually federal or winchester USA white box. I had a FTF once when I had a steel cases tulammo bullet at the bottom of the mag and Winchester above it. Actually you would want to stay away from unjacketed lead bullets. The exposed lead doesn't do too well in factory Glock barrels.

3. datbuenoG19

datbuenoG19 New Member

thanks mauro, i found those winchester white box, 100 for about $23. seems like a good deal, im gonna try them out.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Wolf is fine ammo...the steel case is not bad for your extractor or anything else.

Even American companies like Hornady are now using steel cases for their ammo line.

You want to know why ammo is so expensive...it's the consumerables...the brass, the copper,

even the lead has gotten more expensive. Some companies are even copper washing steel cases.

Steel is the wave of ammo's future...get use to it !!

5. Any ammo works. I use the Winchester white box for range, and I use Federal for EDC.

6. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

Yeah. I just go to Walmart and buy federal and if they r out, like usual, then it's remington umc mega pack. For defensive ammo- federal HST in my 9,&45. And Winchester pdx bonded for my .40. The PDX .40's were all I could get at the time so I just bought them. But I'll get some Fed HST for the 27 soon. I just like federal. Don't know why???
    ~BTW those HST rounds have one nice huge cavity. :)

7. datbuenoG19

datbuenoG19 New Member

Sweet! Good to know about that steel. Thanks guys! Oh and what about the different grains. 115 is pretty standard right?

8. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

115 for range and higher for defense. I heard the higher the grain for winter time. I really don't seethe difference but I'm not competition shooting. All I need is ammo and I'm fine.

9. Im a huge fan of Federal, no problems with Winchester White Box, only ammo Ive heard bad things about is Tula and that is with Ftf's and Fte's

10. bigben

bigben Member

I use the Tula in my G22. I know this is about 9mm. Sorry. But I haven't had any FTE's or FTF's. No complaints so far with about 250 rnds. Eats it up and spits it out!!!! :)

11. jolo1130

jolo1130 New Member

I went through about 950 rounds of federal 124 grain in the first two weeks with my new g17, eveything worked perfect

12. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome jolo1130, Enjoy the forum.

13. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Any ammo works fine. The only thing to really be aware of is if your buying old military surplus (for plinking, etc). If you do buy this make sure it's NON-CORROSIVE. There is some OLD mil surplus out there that is corrosive.

14. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I had heard bad things about steel. I am guessing from the thread that this has changed. Any suggestions about different brands of steel case?

15. That is usually due to the misconception that steel ammo hurts the internal parts of tue gun. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

16. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks, nukin...