922r compliancy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by BocaDan, May 14, 2012.

1. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

I'm a bit confused about this compliancy requirements. Is this a federal thing or a state thing? I live in Florida and am planning on buying an SKS online and don't know if I should be worrying about buying a $200 tapco kit to a $300 rifle legal.

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Any gun that's being sold, that is already in the U.S. must already be 922r compliant. You do not have to purchase a gun and then make it complaint. If you are assembling a gun from a kit, that's another matter.

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Changing parts on a previously compliant gun can make it illegal too.

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

True. Though I've always wondered how, exactly, they'd prove it. Some of the parts used to qualify are small parts and aren't really going to be stamped "Made in USA". You're not likely to find it on a trigger or safety lever for instance.

5. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Interesting information. Thanks everyone. Sometimes I feel like I need a law degree just to read through laws & regulations.

6. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Even if you had a law degree, you still probably wouldn't be able to understand them any better. They're often written by people with no clue what they're talking about, some with and some without law degrees. Half the time they don't know what they've written and the people who have to enforce interpret differently, even among different courts when it gets to that point.

Sometimes I wonder how we're not all in jail; I mean the entire population, not just gun owners. On the other hand, I wonder how we've managed to jail half the people that are in. There's no way that we were meant to live with the confusing mass of paper that are our laws.