Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to get a "budget" (under $1000) AR-9 type pistol and looking for recommendations. I've narrowed it down to Freedom Ordnance FX9 or the Foxtrot Mike FM9 but I'm open to any suggestions or advice. What do you have and how do you like it? I have a Romeo 5 on my shotgun that I really don't need on it. What other add-ons are must haves? I've done a good amount of research but really want to hear your first hand experiences. Let's hear it and if you have pics, see it.

·
Happy Member :)
5,133 Posts
I've read about the foxtrot Mike's and from what I read it's a pretty good gun. I don't own an ar9 only have kp9 (ak style 9mm pistol). Have you thought of building your own? Could probably get a 9mm lower and upper for cheaper if you piece it together. Just a thought, good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
489 Posts
I got a separate upper and lower from PSA.

You’ll probably have better luck getting the separate parts than getting a completed unit. Plus you’ll save some money.

Mine has been flawless in its stock configuration. I added a binary trigger so it’s picky about magazines when using it in binary mode. (Some mags can’t keep up with the trigger)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a separate upper and lower from PSA.

You’ll probably have better luck getting the separate parts than getting a completed unit. Plus you’ll save some money.

Mine has been flawless in its stock configuration. I added a binary trigger so it’s picky about magazines when using it in binary mode. (Some mags can’t keep up with the trigger)
So if I ordered a complete upper and lower, would that be all I need for the basic gun?

·
Happy Member :)
5,133 Posts
I've been looking at PSA too, but their availability is very limited. I'm not really mechanically inclined to build one. What more would be involved beyond buying a complete upper and lower?
Usually 2 pins and slap them together on an ar15 not sure on an ar9 but can't imagine to much more.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
So if I ordered a complete upper and lower, would that be all I need for the basic gun?
I bought a separate lower and upper from PSA some time ago. It comes with everything needed. Just put the two together and push the pins in.
It has been super reliable and fun.
Foxtrot Mike is good too.
Get an 8” or 10” barrel so there is enough space for your hand and accessories. All you need is iron sights, a handstop and the Romeo 5 should you choose to use it on the AR9.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the only model currently available.
View attachment 237409
I went with this PSA model. I looked hard at the FoxTrot Mike, but could not find one available. It was basically a coin flip between the 2. If anyone is interested, I will update once I get it and put some rounds through it. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Super Moderator
62,600 Posts
I went with this PSA model. I looked hard at the FoxTrot Mike, but could not find one available. It was basically a coin flip between the 2. If anyone is interested, I will update once I get it and put some rounds through it. Thanks for all of the input.
I’m interested

·
Registered
100 Posts
Friend has a PSA 9mm it works great. I’ve used a lot of their stuff in the past. Great budget stuff.

I’d also recommend them personally.

its easy to change buffer tubes and braces, so I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Friend has a PSA 9mm it works great. I’ve used a lot of their stuff in the past. Great budget stuff.

I’d also recommend them personally.

its easy to change buffer tubes and braces, so I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor for me.
Do you know if I can just put it on or will I need a different buffer tube or anything extra? This will be my first AR platform gun and I don't really know what I don't know about it yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the SBA3 brace to add on. Do you know if I can just put it on or will I need a different buffer tube or anything extra? This will be my first AR platform gun and I don't really know what I don't know about it yet.
Depends on your buffer tube, if it’s a standard mil spec the sba3 and a4 will fit. If it’s a pistol one it will need to get changed.

the sba3 comes with the buffer tube, if you bought it new.

make sure to stake the castle nut. Definitely don’t want that loosening.

magpul armorers wrench is worth buying.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts