Glock Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put 250 rounds through my new glock 19 putting it up to 840 total rounds with zero malfunctions. I was wondering how much you guys actually shoot when you go on average. This glock 19 gen 4 is my first and only firearm. I just became of age to finally have one of my own. I have however been involved in the firearm community for some time now, and always wondered when someone goes to the range how much ammo do you bring and Shoot? If I could I would have many Firearms with unlimited ammo but like many I am working and going to school still so the money is just not there yet. I mentioned to someone that I shot 250 today and they started asking if I always shoot that much and how often so I thought I would ask you great people.

Thanks in advance. I'll try and post some pictures up here of the targets.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
It all depends on how much time I have to spend, usually a minimum of 200 up to 500 of a single handgun, or if I'm shooting 22lr its up to a couple thousand rounds in a day.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Congrats on the new G19!
In my opinion 250 rounds is perfect, ideally 500 rounds. With a Glock it's easy to burn through rounds quickly. I try to take my time and focus on improving my shooting skills. If I feel fatigued or unfocused I leave- there's no point in shooting at the range 1. If your not enjoying it 2. If your not improving your abilities. So far my G34 has helped me with both.
Having 10 magazines to minimize reload time helps with the fun factor, but totally not necessary.
Alex

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should have said this too, my only options locally are indoor ranges that go by hour(like every other range). So I don't have unlimited time either. Or the luxury of shooting on my own, or friends property. Although Gander is nice, 25$ bucks an hour is pricey. There is a Shoot Straight near me, only 13$ an hour but they have no AC, and in Florida on an August day 105 degrees inside a box is unbearable. So I am pretty much confined to Gander where it is expensive. I try to use my time as much as possible and bring as much ammo as I can.

Shooting a couple thousand 22 sounds awesome! Thanks for response so quick.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
It all comes down to what you can afford.. I personally don't reload so when I go I shoot about 100-150 rounds per firearm but never less than 100.

Now I could afford to shoot a little more but I feel comfortable keeping it in that range for my normal range trips.

On days I want to spend half a day or more then I'll shoot 500 or do but I try not to shoot that much per caliber cause then your talking 300-400 dollar trip if your shooting 9mm, 40sw, 5.56. Those being my daily range trip caliber

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
That's a big reason why I have a new found love of 22lr over the last couple years. I can burn the heck out of ammo, and not worry about breaking the bank. I love shooting my 10/22 with aimpoint on top, and love shooting my TSG 22lr conversion for my Glock 22. The TSG is particularly great because I get to keep up on trigger squeeze, reset, and sight alignment with the gun I carry every day, and keep range visits cheap by not shooting hundreds or even thousands of 40cal that would put me in the poor house fast.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bhale187 said:
That's a big reason why I have a new found love of 22lr over the last couple years. I can burn the heck out of ammo, and not worry about breaking the bank. I love shooting my 10/22 with aimpoint on top, and love shooting my TSG 22lr conversion for my Glock 22. The TSG is particularly great because I get to keep up on trigger squeeze, reset, and sight alignment with the gun I carry every day, and keep range visits cheap by not shooting hundreds or even thousands of 40cal that would put me in the poor house fast.

Yeah, that sounds fun. I haven't shot a 22lr in a long time. My friends have 9mm, 40sw, an 45acp. So far no 22lr or rifles. (I'm looking at some AR platforms now, pretty excited). But I have thought about a 22lr for some time
Now and like you said being able to blow
Through hundreds for cheap sounds like the way to go. Of course the g19 will come too but having another can't hurt right.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
bhale187 said:
I am thinking of doing the same thing!!

·
Supporting Member
568 Posts
With my G19 gen3 Ive had it for two months. I been to an indoor range where I purchased my19. 150.00 for a year unlimited visits. Cash flow is limited right now so I practice for accuracy, grip and trigger pull. Only 360 rounds and counting. Best wishes.

·
Banned
105 Posts
At $25 an hour I can now see your concern for how long you want to be at the range! With the cost of ammo and shooting per hour it all adds up quickly!
The place I belong too is outdoors and being a member I can shoot all day for $5- which is why I always try and bring 250 to 500 rounds each time I visit.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
dwsjr50 said:
With my G19 gen3 Ive had it for two months. I been to an indoor range where I purchased my19. 150.00 for a year unlimited visits. Cash flow is limited right now so I practice for accuracy, grip and trigger pull. Only 360 rounds and counting. Best wishes.
Damn my local range is 500 a year and you only shoot for half

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Seems like range dues really vary. I am a member of a no frills outdoor range (out to 100 yards on rifle and 25 on pistol)for $165 per year, and also a member of a brand new, super nice, indoor range that's $300 per year but gives half off for police and military (only 25yards for both rifle and pistol). Both places you shoot for free if a member.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I shoot @ 150 rounds... Outdoor range, one hour/$6. If I take a second gun I may shoot 200-250 and stay two hours. Starting to take more time shooting... I want to get past ‘combat accuracy’

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
g34-alex said:
At $25 an hour I can now see your concern for how long you want to be at the range! With the cost of ammo and shooting per hour it all adds up quickly!
The place I belong too is outdoors and being a member I can shoot all day for $5- which is why I always try and bring 250 to 500 rounds each time I visit.
Yeah it adds up. When I graduate and have a career I'm sure it'll be nothing but as of now and the next few months it's a little tough. But hey no rush. Thanks guys for all the responses. It's great to have a question and a place where a bunch of knowledgable people love to answer. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts