Glock Forum banner
121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
So this is the scope im looking at

It has 12 mil of up and 12 mil down adjustment. Acoording to the chart around 10-11 is needed for 1000 yards. Should i still go with the 20 moa cant mount? With the extra cant that will get me to about 17 mils or 60 moa

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
So this is the scope im looking at

It has 12 mil of up and 12 mil down adjustment. Acoording to the chart around 10-11 is needed for 1000 yards. Should i still go with the 20 moa cant mount? With the extra cant that will get me to about 17 mils or 60 moa
Put the 20MOA rail on it. You`re going for distance, not close up shooting. I wouldn`t even worry about close up with what you`re planning.
I mounted a 15MOA rail on my Ruger 1022 Target gun last night. Shot it today, and I had tons of room to adjust it at 200yds today.
Brought it back to 100yds to see where it was at, still had plenty of room left to adjust without any issue.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
im still looking but really liking this athlon

That is one of their better scopes. I like the APRS5 IR MIL reticle in those. Tiny floating dot in the middle of the crosshairs. I prefer that reticle over most any others out there. When you turn it up full power, it still allows a little bit of the target to come through without covering it up by thick lines and or big dots.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
That is one of their better scopes. I like the APRS5 IR MIL reticle in those. Tiny floating dot in the middle of the crosshairs. I prefer that reticle over most any others out there. When you turn it up full power, it still allows a little bit of the target to come through without covering it up by thick lines and or big dots.
really seeing the benefit of mils vs moa, just seems simpler

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
really seeing the benefit of mils vs moa, just seems simpler
No doubt about it. When i switched over to mils, it was a little confusing at first (only because i`m old, lol), but now that i understand it a little better, i`ll likely never go back to MOA.
Tracking is better, in my own opinion. Much faster to dial in. Everything is much more simpler (in my own opinion), there are no fraction numbers involved.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
No doubt about it. When i switched over to mils, it was a little confusing at first (only because i`m old, lol), but now that i understand it a little better, i`ll likely never go back to MOA.
Tracking is better, in my own opinion. Much faster to dial in. Everything is much more simpler (in my own opinion), there are no fraction numbers involved.
Thats what ive seen, plus with that scope its 10 mils per revolution so easy to always know where its at, dont have to worry about counting turns.

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
Any need for a sunshade? The range that i normally go to has a cover over the shooting benches.
I never shoot with a sunshade unless i`m in direct sunlight. Its not a bad idea to have one in your range bag just incase though! I have, on occasion, needed it.

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
Still havent made up my mind lol, any reason i should go with a 56mm obj over a 50 mm obj?
The 56mm will let in more light. The more light (as a rule of thumb) allows you to see your target better within the scope.
It comes in real handy on those cloudier days.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
I think im down to these two. Im leaning toward the 50mm ares btr. Its a little cheaper than the midas 56mm and has the illuminated reticle. Ive read where people say the eye box on the ares is smaller than the midas but that shouldnt really matter on a bench gun should it?

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Made a decision, just ordered the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 FFP scope with aprs3 MIL reticle. Found this company MK Machining that makes scope caps and throw levers for various scopes as well as other parts for various rifles, they also sell various brand scopes and mounts. They were selling the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 scope with free MK Machining billet scope level and free MK Machining pro series throw lever for $850. Got a 10% off coupon and no tax! Got the package for $765 shipped.

Camera accessory Cylinder Auto part Metal Event

Rectangle Parallel Font Symmetry Pattern

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Decided to say what the hell lets go with the big boy scope lol, i decided the added light gathering with the 56mm lens is more valuable than the illuminated reticle. Also with going to a 34mm tube i will get 32 Mil of elevation and windage adjustment vs the 25 on the Ares. Ive read a few articles on the Midas Tac 5-25x56 and one guy reported 17 mils of elevation adjustment both up and down. Even assuming the scope only has 16 Mil of elevation i shouldnt need a 20 moa cant mount. Worst case i should end up with around 14 Mil once zeroed. I cant imagine it taking more than 2 Mil to zero at 100 yards especially how flat the 6mm arc shoots. I will order the scope caps in the next few days, was going to order them with the scope but if they are on back order they wanted $5 to split the order and ship the scope they had in stock.

Heres the mount im thinking about, its a Aero Precision SPR 34mm cantilever mount 1.5” height 0 cant. For $95 looks like a solid mount, cant find any negative reviews

Wheel Tire Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Rim

Arm Rectangle Gesture Automotive exterior Bumper

121 - 140 of 192 Posts