Glock Forum banner
81 - 100 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
One more piece of advice, and this will hopefully help you save some money that you might not have to spend....
Dial in your scope with a basic set of cheap rings. This will tell you if you will really need to spend the money on a 20 or 30MOA single scope ring rig.

This stuff is to expensive. There is no sense buying an expensive mount system if it isn`t needed. I call it, "finding my baseline, cheap, first!" then buy accordingly.
I will have to use a cantilever mount to obtain the best scope position wont i?

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
I will have to use a cantilever mount to obtain the best scope position wont i?
Usually most people end up using one on the AR platform. If you go that route, take a look at Monstrum. Damn good mounts for the money.
A friend of mine told me that they are made by WARNE, but i`m not finding anything that says that they really are. BUT, anything is possible these days.

Just some advice, make sure the rings match up real good.
Its critical for long range not to bind or put unnecessary torque twist on the scope tube and damage it from unmatched rings.

This is what i use to true up the rings before mounting the scope. I have the kit with all the lapping bars. 1 inch - 30mm - 34mm

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
whys that? Junk?
The glass isn`t on par with the price point they want for them.
I`ve seen far better glass in $500 scopes.

Here is the first clue... key words being >>> "distortion on most models"
Another words, most suck for clarity. That`s why you don`t see many out there.
Trust me when i say you would be disappointed if you compared it to other brands in the same price point.

Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Pattern

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
whys that? Junk?
And that reticle is not really what you want for long range shooting. I`m surprised they still use that style reticle.
The christmas tree reticle with numbers is the best for long range. You can dial it in so much easier and faster.

Here is a better picture of the difference of MOA vs MRAD commonly found reticle`s

Colorfulness Eye Human body Organism Font

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
any need to go larger than a 30mm tube or 50 mm objective lens?

That Midas Tac would do you pretty well for your needs, in my opinion. I believe those have pretty decent HD glass in them. I checked one out not long ago. Pretty nice scope.
The 30mm will save you a ton of money over a 34mm set up. BUT, there ARE, trade off`s.

My old eyes, want all the light that i can get. The bigger the objective, the more light will be able to transfer into the scope. (hence, brighter view)

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
That Midas Tac would do you pretty well for your needs, in my opinion. I believe those have pretty decent HD glass in them. I checked one out not long ago. Pretty nice scope.
The 30mm will save you a ton of money over a 34mm set up. BUT, there ARE, trade off`s.

My old eyes, want all the light that i can get. The bigger the objective, the more light will be able to transfer into the scope. (hence, brighter view)
Yeah thats what i have always heard, the bigger lens the more available light goes into the scope. Any reason not to use a vortex mount? Or what is the best mounts you have found? Doesnt need to be a qd. Also that athlon has 85 moa of elevation adjustment, that should be way more than enough to use a standard mount right? No need for a 20mm cant mount?

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
Yeah thats what i have always heard, the bigger lens the more available light goes into the scope. Any reason not to use a vortex mount? Or what is the best mounts you have found? Doesnt need to be a qd. Also that athlon has 85 moa of elevation adjustment, that should be way more than enough to use a standard mount right? No need for a 20mm cant mount?
Vortex makes pretty damn good mounts. I do have a few, they are very solid units (MADE IN USA!), have had no issues with any of them. No, stay away from the QD mounts. That 85MOA should get you there. I don`t think you`ll need a 20MOA with that scope. You might have to use the hold over lines in the reticle if anything, but you won`t really know that until you get out there with it. The gun, ammo, always vary. The 6mm caliber is a pretty flat shooter in the 6ARC too. The one my friend just bought, she`s a tack driver! He`s got an Arken EP5 5-25x56 on it, and wow, what a package! We`re suppose to go to the 1,000yd range here shortly. We`ll see how it does!

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,478 Posts
I knew ,I'd get a bite out of the Bushnell suggestion! 😁 I have always relied on Leupold ,Zeiss ,Karl Kahles and in their day Weaver (when they still built a decent steel tubed scope ) But on saying that ,I use the top glass because I make a living out of shooting.

22-250 vs .220 Swift all over again!👀
Mate! Using a 22-250 is like driving a Pirus when you can afford a Rolls Royce (.220 swift ) 🤣🤣🤣

I can see Griddler, grinding his teeth when he reads this one !

81 - 100 of 192 Posts