Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ive been wanting to get into longer ranges and thought would be cool to do so in a ar15 platform, i was initially planning on maxing out at 500 yards but figured since i have a 1000 yard range about a hour or so away from me i might as well go for broke. I did quite a bit of research and was interested in the 6.5 grendel but while the 6.5 grendel is good for hunting at medium range it is lacking in the capabilities of staying sub sonic to 1000 yards. I could have went the ar10 route but i already had a spare ar15 lower. Although the 6 Arc is relatively new it looks like a promising cartridge. I will keep the thread updated with my build and range results when its complete

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered a compete 6mm Arc upper from Atheris Rifle Company, all reviews ive found have been positive, the only negative ive found is the lead time. I ordered the upper at the beginning of march, spoke with them before i ordered and they are expecting barrels some time in mid April. The lead time is usually around 10-12 weeks so i hope to get it by July.

heres the specs on the upper

Atheris Rifle A-15 M (Match) upper offers shooters features for hunting and long range shooting with a very carefully selected mix of parts that make this setup very capable for whatever you throw its way.
  • Atheris Forged Mil Spec Receiver
  • 20” Atheris 416R Stainless Steel Barrel w/ 5R Rifling
  • Guaranteed Sub MOA (1"@ 100yds)
  • 1:7.5 Twist
  • Atheris Black Nitride BCG
  • Atheris 15" MLOK Handguard
  • Strike Industries Charging Handle
  • Adjustable Gas Block Available As an Option
  • Strike Industries Dust Cover
  • A2 Comp or Thread protector included (Depending on current stock)

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did something i kinda feel guilty of lol, i originally was going to use the PSA lower i had but swapped it for the Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced lower that i had bought so my dad could build a ar47, i bought the Aero lower at the time because my LGS was out of the PSA lowers. Since his is more or less for open sight plinking i took all the internals out of the Aero lower and put them in the PSA lower. One main reason i decided to swap to the Aero M4E1 lower was it having a tension screw to eliminate play in the upper. Plus the Aero M4E1 just looks better imho

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a few weeks of gathering parts i have the lower completed.

specs on the completed lower

• Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced lower
  • Aero Precision enhanced carbine length buffer tube
  • Aero Precision H2 buffer and carbine length spring
  • Battle Arms Development enhanced safety selector
  • Battle Arms Development enhanced magazine release & magazine catch
  • Larue Tactical MBT-2S 2 stage trigger (2.5 lbs first stage) and (2 lbs second stage)
  • Magpul B.A.D lever
  • Magpul PRS Lite fixed stock with adjustable LOP and comb
  • Anarchy Outdoors precision rifle grip
  • Strike Industries ultralight takedown/pivot pins
  • Milspec bolt catch, springs and detents
I like the look of the Magpul PRS Lite stock, it mounts pretty solid considering it uses the front qd socket to both lock up in front of the notch on the buffer tube and squeeze down on the buffer tube. It was a little loose for my liking on the Aero Precision buffer tube, not loose where its flopping around but depending on the buffer tube the notch may vary, so what i experienced was with the locking mechanism tightened up the stock would slide about 1/4” back and forth, however you did have to pull on it pretty good to move it. It annoyed me so i cut a rubber shim for the notch in the buffer tube where the locking mechanism sits to take up the slack and it is solid now. Again not a deal breaker as it was but im picky lol.

I decided to install a Magpul B.A.D lever to ease with bolt operation and lock back while on a bench rest.

I made my decision on the Larue Tactical 2 stage trigger over the Timney Impact trigger that cost around $20-30 more. From the info i gathered the larue has a cleaner break and better reset than the Timney Impact trigger although the Timney is supposed to have less creep. But after installing the Larue it feels great! If there is any creep it is almost non existent.

I really like the Anarchy Outdoors precision rifle grip, the shelf on the right side is where you rest your thumb to allow you to pull your trigger finger straight back instead of applying side pressure like you would with a normal ar grip, also the 0 degree grip angle should help with comfort for precision shooting. The grip can also be used like normal as well.

Air gun Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Composite material

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

Wood Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Following for sure. Any concerns that mixed brands upper/lower will impact the accuracy? I have been using matched billet upper/lowers for my more precision AR builds. No real evidence that it makes any difference. The upper and lower fit is extremely tight. Now I need to take a look at that 6mm ARC round. That is new to me.
Im hoping not lol, one plus is the aero precision lower has the adjustable tension screw to keep the upper tight, i also plan on picking up sone pivot pin shims to take as much side to side slop out as well. I would think once the scope is zeroed it is all on the shooter

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Uggggg, i hear that 340. Such a shame where this country is at today. I`ll keep following your thread though an see how things are coming brother. Good luck pal.
thank you, yeah i knew that when i bought it, they are just backed up with orders and waiting on parts lol. They do say on their website that lead time is 10-12 weeks. Im going to take it slow anyway, i plan on working my way out to 1000 yards in maybe 300 yard increments. I still have to do research on a scope and wether or not im gonna buy a weather meter and ballistic calculator

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That`s a GOOD ONE 340. Yup, a tad pricey, but buy once, cry once. They work excellent!
yeah i know that all too well lol, i thought it was a lot spending $600 on a 20” upper but there are barrels that cost more than that. I think im going to invest in the scope first, im sure there are ballistic calculators i can use online to get started.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Absolutely! Oh man do i ever know the feeling.

But my biggest problem with it is (after all these years/decades), nobody told me how deep the rabbit hole was when i started out.
And here it is 50+yrs later, i STILL haven`t seen the bottom of that damned rabbit hole, YET!!!! :eek: :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: I`m still lovin it though, lol

Keep diggin, one of us gotta find the bottom sooner or later. Maybe?!?!?!?! o_O
Thats what really worries me lol

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@3404speed

Hey 340, have you done any research on barrel erosion on the 6mm`s???
I thought i read something where they will only get about 1,000 to 1,500 rounds and the barrel throats are smoked.

The 6.5 Creedmore was good to 3,000+ rounds. (???)
Ive read should be good to 2500-3000 rounds. I dont plan on shooting more than 40 per range visit and at least 20-30 seconds in between shots

Also i dont plan to reload (as of now) and will use hornady match so i think the pressures will be better on the barrel

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So update guys, i contacted atheris about their barrel shipment, they received 18” and 22” 6mm arc barrels but not the 20” which is what i ordered. They asked if the 18” or 22” would work for me but which would be best, i think since im going the longe range route the 22” would be the most logical choice.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
this is just my opinion, but if it were my choice, i would take the 22" barrel. (barrel harmonics)
The 18" isn`t a bad choice either. My own personal preference would be the 22" though.
I`m sure some other builders might have an opinion, too.
Thats what i figured, i already wanted the 20” over the 18” so the added 2” of barrel of the 22” should only be a benefit. I talked with atheris and the upper should ship out by the end of the month

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just a update, the upper was supposed to ship by the end of the month, i contacted atheris and asked them of the status, they told me they were very behind on orders and said they would try to get it shipped out next week, a day later i received a email with the order status changed to building and testing. Hopefully itll come in a few weeks, still need to do some scope research

1 - 20 of 92 Posts