4th Range Visit

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by PeacefulWarrior, Apr 9, 2012.

1. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

Still working on fundamentals...
    This was my 4th time at the range, fourth time shooting a handgun. Prior to this day (April 6), I had shot about 400 rounds through my G19/ 400 rounds through any handgun. I am getting somewhat closer to center... and feeling more confident with a handgun. It is not as easy to be 'exact' compared to an M-16, .50 Cal, or any hunting rifle I've ever shot.
    According to the chart Shooter13 gave me, I am jerking/slapping trigger and possibly tightening fingers. Another thing I am learning is that I may not have been sighting the target correctly. I'll post my current targets... my 1st & second trips are in other posts. For some reason, I didn't photograph my third trip - I think because I was just experimenting with other grip, stance, and squeezing the trigger & was not concerned with accuracy.
    I am not sure if this is good progress? I have had no formal instruction other than watching the 'Armed Response' DVDs with Ralph Mroz & David Kenik.

Attached Files:

2. PeacefulWarrior

BTW - this is @ 10 yards

3. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

I was like that too, just flinching and anticipating the recoil.

people on here are great and gave me tips. After a while I just squeeze the trigger very slowly and keeping the gun as steady as possible and just be surprised by the recoil.
    I grasp my hands around the grip hand over hand. Not cupping the gun with my spare hand. And have the fleshy part of my finger right on the trigger.

Otherwise if I flinch I tend to go bottom left of the intended target. I'm a right hander. Can't wait for range time on the weekend. I would give tips but i'm a noob so don't want to mess things up for you ESP when your closing in nicely :)

4. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Nice range pics, thumbs up chuck Norris style!

5. PeacefulWarrior

Thanks... went again yesterday, posted pics - getting a bit better. My first two magazines were OFF TARGET! Stopped what I was doing and just stared Zen style for a minute... then I took some of my best shots yet. It's just going to take time & practice. I know what I'm doing wrong - hard to overrule the subconscious mind, though. Shooting is becoming a psychological journey for me! The more I empty my thoughts, the better I do.

6. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

I know what you mean. Its the only time when my mind is clear and focussed. But the more I shoot the more I just want to double tap. And try rapid firing.

But then I see my groupings flying every where haha.
    So I just go back to aiming carefully.

I still have a long way to go :) but a good journey it is.. range time tomorrow morning!

7. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

Ooh don't get me wrong, i'm not accidentally shooting someone elses target haha. My groupings just get alot wider!

I have a g19,, just right for me. Any caliber higher for me is probably too much to control.

8. PeacefulWarrior

The range I go to prohibits double taps, rapid firing, and holstering a weapon (I tend to say weapon, as I served in the Army 'long ago' and we were not allowed to call anything we used a 'gun,' except our 'junk,' lol) --- still, I like this range for now. It's outside, not near much of anything but an Army training/deployment base, and they separate pistol & rifle shooters. It's taken a few trips to the range to get used go some of the outrageous WEAPONS some people haul to the range! They allow anything but .50 Caliber.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. sean_ma

sean_ma New Member

I go to a indoor range, its pretty okay. I just settle for a normal weapon ...G19....my current pistol.

They prohibit certain calibers, but I do see people with their Ar15's?

Or you can rent some guns behind the counter like a Thompson machine gun, sten gun, shotguns, and some bigger rifles. But yep no way a 50 caliber is going in there haha.

I'm not sure if they disallow double taps. I don't see it written anywhere. Plus alot of people do it in there in a controlled manner. So I think its all good. I just need so much more practice before I rent a sub machine gun behind the counter :)