.45 g.a.p

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by fireman06, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fireman06

fireman06 New Member

Um looking into buying a Glock soon but many in the future, but I love the Glock 21 and 23 thinking I'm going to get the 23 first. So my question is I see they have a 45 GAP in compact size? What does the gap stand for and any experience with it?

2. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/45GAP Tech Brief_150dpi.pdf

I don't see an advantage unless you need the size savings.

Capacity is less than a Glock 30 which has 10+1.

3. The link didn't work for me.

I'm no expert on the GAP round, but I believe it stands for Glock Automatic Pistol. Basically, if I understand it correctly, it's a shorter .45 caliber round that is loaded to higher pressure to achieve power similar to the .45 ACP. (Automatic Colt Pistol.) It's not as common and I think I would stick with the .45 ACP if I were to buy a .45.

By the way, someone please correct me if I'm wrong about what the GAP is.

4. edesardi

edesardi New Member

Dustin, you got it right, I just bought a Glock 38, and love it. But I'm a reloader, so ammo is no big deal for me.

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I have the G37 & 39. I love the round. It equals and often exceeds .45 ACP ballistics in a package that fits smaller hands better. It's a great shooting round and is going to become my primary carry shortly.

People complain about ammo availability and price, but all you have to do is look for it. Georgia Arms www.georgia-arms.com is, by far, the cheapest for FMJ and I found very good HP prices on http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/.

6. fls348

fls348 New Member

Correct. I might add I'm pretty sure the 45GAP frame is the size of the 9/40 frames and not the huge 20/21 frames. Finding ammo is a ***** though.....

7. trevolt

trevolt New Member

I have a G37 and love it. I never have had any problem finding ammo.

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

You're correct on frame size, but ammo is all over the place online and I see it stocked in most of my LGS.

9. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I THINK the .45gap was ment for leo/govent angets (woman) whos hands were to small for large glock .45acp frames so glock made the GAP rnd and the pistols to go with it of course....i heard this somewere before.

10. leadsled

leadsled New Member

ATX
    I am sure the .45GAP was made for markets around the world that don't allow civilians to use a military round.

The 40S&W is a shortened 10mm because some agents had trouble handling the bigger round.

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

It must have been ^, that i heard of then...

12. fls348

fls348 New Member

Hence the term 40 short & weak (40s&w).........

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

My 2 cents...

While I'm sure it's a nice round...you would probably be better served using a round like the .45ACP... not only based on availability, but also price !!

The .45ACP can be found in all kinds of bullet weights and velocities...adding to the versatility of the platform.

Just my 2 cents...not downing anybody's choice !! :D

14. fireman06

fireman06 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone was just curious. Would be awesome if Glock made a compact .45acp but I think ill buy the g21 for carry and the 23 for backup plus 2 extra magazines each lol

15. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Glock 30, 30sf, 36 are all compact .45s

16. fireman06

fireman06 New Member

No they are the subcompact model 46acp subcompacts are to small for my hands it has to be the standard or compact size look at www.Glock.com/English/index_pistols.htm if you'd like to double check the list

17. fireman06

fireman06 New Member

Correction. 45acp not .46 lol

18. leadsled

leadsled New Member

ATX
  19. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

Most logically is to buy the 21 and the 30. The magazines can be used in the 30.

I see you're a fireman. You can get the Blue Box Glocks at a discount at a local authorized dealer.

20. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Especially with the floorplate on the G30 magazine, that gun will give you plenty for your hand. I have the 29SF, which is the same size as the 30SF, but the 29 doesn't have that big floorplate, so I have to add a pinky rest. Even with the pinky rest on my 29 magazine, it's still not as big as the 30's.