Glock Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up some brass at the range to reload. It is a mixed batch of small primer and large primer brass. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to primer size? Does the large (or small) primer size necessarily indicate better quality brass? Lurking around the Midway site, large primer brass seems to be desirable. These will be my first 45 reloads and inquiring minds just got to know.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I've always used large pistol primers for .45 ACP handloads. Whatever advantages there might be too small primers is not worth the trouble to me of trying to run table data on separate sizes of primers, so I just stick to the way I've always done it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
This whole small pistol primer in ACP brass is new, as far as I know. I'd never seen it until very recently and I've wondered if it wasn't originally intended to be GAP brass instead, since it does use the small primer.

As long as there is load data for both, there's no reason not to use them, but you need to do them in separate batches.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Small primers just came out in 2012... I actually prefer the small primers just so I don't have to change primer feed stuff when switching calibers... I use the same load data as a large primer .45 and have yet to have a problem

·
Boost Rules
278 Posts
The small primers may be a way for the manufacturer to reduce costs in the manufacturing process.

I have about 50 pieces of small primer brass(range pick up). I first stumbled acrossed it whe I went to prime them. It's a pain so I mark the cases with a sharpie so they are easy to pick out when I review my pick ups.

As far as the case is concerned, I would imagine a small primer pocket could provide more case head support than a large primer pocket. This would have to be verified though.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Small Primer 45acp brass is the "Clean" Lead Free stuff for indoor range use. The reason why they went with small primers is because they don't have any "clean" large primers on the market so manufactures were forced to re-tool their 45acp cases to use the small primers.
I really don't have a problem with either small or large primer 45acp brass since I use a single stage press and when I was also loading 38spl it was nice to be able to use the same primers for both.
Now I just load 45acp and have about 400 rounds of SP stuff loaded and 700 rounds of LP brass loaded and I keep both small and large pistol primers so I can load either.
I think it's nice to be versatile, if there's ever a shortage of large pistol primers I can still load up some 45acp using my small primer cases and vise versa too, if I can't find small primers I can load up my Large Primer cases so either way I'll be able to load up some 45acp ammo for use.
Of course those who use a progressive press and are too lazy to sort their brass really hate the small primer cases,LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.