Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the 45acp but I think for hunting a .400" bullet offers better down range performance so I've been looking at the 400 Corbon quite a bit. Now I find out that there's an even hotter round available, the 40 Super. Looks like an interesting concept, barrels are available for the G21 and ballistics are actually just a touch better then with a hot loaded 10mm Auto so if you've got a G21 and use the 45acp for home defense you can convert it over to 40 Super with a barrel and spring change and take it hunting as well.
Think as soon as I'm back on my feet and things are back on track I'll pick up a G21 and get a standard rifled 45acp barrel and a 40 Super barrel for it so I'll have two guns in one. Here's a couple links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_Super
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1482

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you had no use for the 40?
lol :p
I have no use for the 40 Short n' Weak, I think the 10mm Auto or other HOT .400"/10mm cartridges are great, they remind me a lot of my beloved 41Mag.
I think you need to read the thread I started about the 40cal again, love the caliber, hate the 40S&W.:D

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Makes me miss Elmer Kieth. Wish we could clone him.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I have no use for the 40 Short n' Weak, I think the 10mm Auto or other HOT .400"/10mm cartridges are great, they remind me a lot of my beloved 41Mag.
I think you need to read the thread I started about the 40cal again, love the caliber, hate the 40S&W.:D
I was just messing with ya. :D

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just messing with ya. :D
I know, just pushin' back a bit.:D
Speaking of Elmer, you ever get a chance to read his book "Hell, I was There." do it, awesome read. Also, there's another book, not sure if it's back in print or not, called "Triggernometry: A Gallery of Gunfighters." that's also an awesome read.
Short & weak?? I think that was something else
Compared to it's parent cartridge, the 10mm Auto it IS Shorter and Weaker,LOL.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Thank's for the book tips, I'll make a note to look them up. He was revered by my circle of friends, We grew up on Guns & Ammo, Field & Stream, Boy's Life.

He was a hero figure to us as boys. Like, "What would Elmer Kieth Do"?

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I grew up reading stuff written by Elmer Kieth, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Cooper and the like. Those guys really knew a thing or three about guns, shooting, hunting and stuff because they actually lived it. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Very interesting round indeed, but at over a buck a round, I don't think it's worth it

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really interested in the 460. Interesting idea but seems like way too much power in a semi the size of a Glock. 45 Super did catch my eye, kind of a 45acp +P++ so to speak,LOL but it seems like that 40 Super would be a lot of fun to play with and a 135gr JHP at close to 1800fps would be awesome Coyote medicine and I could still load up some 180gr JHP's for Deer hunting if I wanted to.

·
1,613 Posts
Very interesting round indeed, but at over a buck a round, I don't think it's worth it
I wouldn't pay a dollar a round either, they are cheaper at Georgia Arms and a few other places, just have to shop around. ;)

Not really interested in the 460. Interesting idea but seems like way too much power in a semi the size of a Glock. 45 Super did catch my eye, kind of a 45acp +P++ so to speak,LOL but it seems like that 40 Super would be a lot of fun to play with and a 135gr JHP at close to 1800fps would be awesome Coyote medicine and I could still load up some 180gr JHP's for Deer hunting if I wanted to.
The .460 Rowland is a powerful round, but with the compensator and spring it is designed to handle it. It isn't something I would plink with everyday, but I'd still like to own it. Actually I would like to own it, and the other barrels that are available: .40 Super, .400 Cor-Bon, 10mm.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dollar a round either, they are cheaper at Georgia Arms and a few other places, just have to shop around. ;)
I was refering to the 45 super,but I'm sure you could roll your own for cheaper on them, or possibly find them a bit cheaper too. I'm just a cheapstake I guess, but unless I'm hunting with it, I just don't want to pay nearly that much per round.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure you could roll your own for cheaper on them, or possibly find them a bit cheaper too. I'm just a cheapstake I guess, but unless I'm hunting with it, I just don't want to pay nearly that much per round.
Once I have a supply of brass it's just a matter of primer, bullet(both of which would cost the same as a 45acp) and powder which would probably only be a grain or so more so cost really wouldn't be that much more then loading a 45acp.
I've been looking closely at the 400 Corbon but ballistics isn't really that much better then a hot loaded 40S&W. The 40 Super, on the other hand, actually equals or even bests the 10mm Auto by just a bit.
Of course 45 Super would be a "Super" easy swap, just need the special brass(thicker head area to maintain case integrity with such hot loads) and a heavier spring and buffer for the 45acp that you'd already have.
IDK, if I can ever manage a G21 I might just buy some 45 Super brass and a heavier recoil spring and buffer and give it a try. I'd not be out all that much really since I can use my 45acp loading dies to load up a batch of 45 Super ammo.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I already have an aftermarket LWD barrel with full case support in my G30 it'd be easy enough to convert it over to shoot the 45 Super if I wanted too. All I'd need would be brass and a new recoil spring assembly.
A guy on another forum was saying he used a 21 lb spring in his G30 and a 22 lb spring in his G21 which doesn't make sense. Seems like you'd need heavier then the G30 then you'd use in the G21 because of less slide mass. They make a 23 lb stainless assembly that would probably work well in the G30 and that would allow me to shoot the Super in the gun I already have. Just wonder how much I'd give up in velociety with that "short" 3.78" bbl.? Also, wonder how such a small gun would handle the recoil?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
So now ya want to start huntin Coyote with a pistol?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Here is an awesome video of hunting deer with a glock hand gun:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkTXNAJqWY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.