Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best and safest grade for .40 grade for my G22? I'm new grade stuff, and unsure what's the importance in them. I have seen 165gr, 175gr, 185gr, and etc. I'm not sure what to pick best for my G22.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
I'm not super familiar with the .40, but I'm very knowledgeable about the 10mm, and what I know as far as the weight in my experience is for target shooting, the 180 is a bit cheaper with slightly lower recoil. Think of it the sense of a car. Usually, the lighter the load, the quicker it goes. I know my Buffalo Bore Barnes Tac-XP 135 grain 10mm from the 3.5" barrel of the 29 was coming out at an average of 1510 fps with an advertised 700 ft/lbs of energy behind it. Then again, Buffalo Bore is also some of the hottest loads available.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Just about every firearm you pick up will like one load over all others in terms of performance.

Besides bullet weight, there is also bullet style...FMJ, HP, SP, etc.

Best advice to you is try some or all...then you tell us !!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can't site you the article at this moment but a test was done (non biased) with several different self defense rounds different brands and weights etc to simply get data on paper and find out "what was best". While the brand or maker of the round was not most important (there were a few standouts they recommended) they did find that for something like your 22 a 180grain load was most effective and that something with a shorter barrel like a 27 most effectively fired a 165grain round. I need to find this article again because I know someone is going to want it. Ive posted it on a thread before but its been a while back. But there is so much info out there as to which is best which has more recoil or jump and is easier to follow up with second shots and the list and opinions and supporting data goes on and on do you want to shot through something like a door if need be or just ballistic performance... Anyway you get the idea and I think its just what you want. I carry a 27 with 180 gold dots because I had already purchased them prior to learning lots of things. I think next I will purchase 165 rather than the 180's but I'm not so concerned that I am going to run out and replace them when I shoot what I have now just fine and they more than do the job. Let me tell you those boys open up so nice!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Banned
654 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
this was written in 2002, I guess we should give it a few more years.

btw that article is an opinion.
True on both counts. It's an opinion I happen to agree with and choose to follow. Since 180gr bullets have not gotten any shorter in the last 10 years and .40 cases haven't gotten any longer in the last 10 years, I suppose it could still be valid.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
A lot of folks run 165 grain hollow points. That is what my, and other PD's issue.

A lot of competitors run 180 grain because the heavier bullet makes Major Power Factor (per USPSA this is FPS x weight).

Z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts