4 stroke help needed please!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shiflet, Nov 17, 2012.

1. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Would a leaking intake valve make sense with the problems I'm experiencing??

2. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Yes, leaky valves cause hard starting,poor idle among other symptoms

3. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Ok good. My shop told me the intake valves were leaking incredibly bad, one of the buckets was stuck in the head??,and the cam chain is stretched out. I picked up a new piston and rings since ill have it opened up I figured i might as well clean it out I suppose I'll just pick up an OEM cam chain and gasket kit. Any reason to get steel or titanium valves over OEM??

4. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

The advantage of titanium is light weight, less mass, quicker closing of valves. More for race applications where extreme RPMs are seen. In my Honda TRX450R I just run stock material. It is not so hard on valve seats.

5. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Is it even possible foe the bucket to be stuck in the head? Or did I misunderstand them and the shim is stuck in the bucket? Cuz if it was stuck in the head it wouldn't run correct? Any enlightenment?

6. buildit

buildit Another gun nut

That's where I would look next. ;)

7. shiflet

shiflet New Member

If I'm going to be replacing my intake valves is it worth it to replace the exhaust ones if nothing is wrong with them??

8. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Yes, it is one of those "since it is torn apart may as well" type of situations. With a new piston,intake valves why not.....?

9. shiflet

shiflet New Member

I just wish they weren't a hundred bucks a pair haha that's the only reason I got

10. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Anybody know a cheap place other than eBay to get parts??

11. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Does anybody know if there is a way to tell if the valves are stretched? Or if there is a max shim size that can be used on certain bikes??

12. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

I would make sure that whoever is doing the work knows what they're doing. You wouldn't need to ask these questions should I do this or that otherwise. Valves wear at the tip and at the face of the valve. If you've got accelerated wear at either of these it must be replaced regardless of shim size because you'll just be going back in there to reshim due to lost combustion seal and poor performance. A thinner (not bigger) shim is a temporary fix if its sucking a valve.
    Replacing exhaust valves shouldn't be necessary on a low hour motor but again, your tech should be able to figure this out for you by checking stem to guide clearance. Keep in mind this big 4T motors do require a lot of maintenance per the manuals. Most of them require piston and pin replacement at 50hrs. Top end in other words.
    If its near that amount and been run hard or raced with less than stellar maintenance performed, I'd get it done, do it right and ride the piss out of it.

13. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Haha I ask because I'm.doing the work on it and don't have much experience. But I'm learning as I go.

14. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Oh man... I hope you're not in a hurry. Barely joking. There's just too many things you need to know, not just 4 stroke theory but specifics to motorcycle engines in general. Don't make the mistake that because you've done a tuneup or two and worked on all your cars that these are the same. Maybe you can put trade out work to someone who knows about motors.

15. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

It's a little far but the school up on deer valley road has plenty of good students who could help you out. Try a Craigslist ad to the students who need the cash. They are often needing part time money so will do it for a bargain and be led by a class instructor and have proper tools, manuals and should get it done right. They can also tell you what is needed, why and what the service intervals are. You'll have to pay for parts of course and you'd have to procure them yourself as they don't order parts that I know of. Just suggestion for the area you're in.

16. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Good point I'll see if I can round up someone to help