38 revolver for my wife

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Glockwork, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    Hey guys, my wife is just starting to get into shooting and may eventually get her CCW. She likes shooting my G26 but would prefer a revolver. We've perused the local shops just to get a feel for them. So far she has preferred a Charter Arms undercover 38. Any info on this or other good 38s for the ladies? Thanks.

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Just curious....why does she prefer revolvers? Does she have more experience with them?

3. ghost786110

ghost786110 New Member

Your wife can't wrong with G26. I would also like to recommend Kahr Arms PM9, MK9 or there .380s. I am sorry you asked for revolvers but I prefer semi autos.

4. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

Lol... I thought you made an interesting trade (based on your thread title) ... and was going to tell you to hold out for a glock ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. Chris_

Chris_ New Member

My mom stole one of my 38's S&W 637. She likes how it shoots, it fits her hand well and simple to use with major arthritis.

Attached Files:

6. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Most any J Frame .38 spl will fill her wants. Just stay away from the alloy or titanium framed guns as they are not pleasant to shoot for novice shooters. And what is nice about the revolvers is the fact that they are purely simple to operate, and by using the KISS principle, they fit nicely. Just my two cents but with inflation, not worth that!!

7. Anzrul

Anzrul New Member

My wife carries a Ruger LCR in .38 Special and it is rated for +P rounds. This was her first firearm and it is what she carries every day. I won't lie, it did take a couple trips to the range for her to get used to it (we did this before she got her carry license) but now she has no problems hitting the T box at 21 feet and center mass out to about 33 feet. I've shot it several times and it makes a great carry weapon. The smaller grip and moderate recoil will take some getting used to for a beginner shooter.

8. My wife likes revolvers better too. She says it's easier for her to tell if it's loaded or not since she can simply open the cylinder to check it.
    I personally think that small frame, short barrel revolvers are some of the hardest guns to shoot well. I'm a revolver guy from way back but I didn't care for my S&W 642 Airweight at all. Way too much recoil, couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with it and only 5 shots.
    I'd think that if she wants a good revolver for CCW then something on the order of a 3" K-Frame would be a better choice then a 1 7/8" J-Frame.
    If you can try to work her into shooting your semi more. I'm going to try to do that with my wife so when time comes to get her a gun for CCW maybe she'll go with a G19 instead of a revolver.

9. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    Thanks for all the replies. She feels more comfortable with the simplicity and reliability of a revolver. I don't know much about revolvers so if you could explain K frames and J frames that'd be really helpful.

And no, I'm not trading my wife for a 38!! Haha.

10. My wife also prefers a revolver. Bought a Taurus 85 in 38 special to start with in case she wasn't serious, but ended up buying a SW 642. I like the G26 myself.

11. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    I just realized your sig pic is the dog from Duck Hunt! Haha that's funny.

12. My wife is tiny and has very little hand strength and has issues loading magazines. Hence, she prefers revolvers as well. We bought a Rossi (can't remember the model now as it has been traded) a year ago and it was a great little gun. Locked up very tight and the timing was dead on. Gun was uber-accurate and has a really well designed grip that limits felt recoil. Rossi is owned by Taurus now, who manufactures their weapons completely in house on old Smith and Wesson tooling and machines. (This is what I've been told anyways by a few trusted gun buddies) Their quality is vastly improved in the last few years.

13. Bammustafa

Bammustafa New Member

My girlfriend has the same problem with my semi automatics. I thought my g26 would be perfect for her but she wants nothing to do wit it for those reasons. So I bought a ruger sp101 and load 38specials and she loves it. And I love shooting the .357 mag

14. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

If she wants the G26 That is what I would give her! But if it is a Revolver here is what I got my Wife and she likes it although I have just about got her hooked on Glocks. So a G19 will probably be in the offering unless she falls in love with the G36 which she has held and loved but not fired yet!:D But if she does want the 19/26/36 then the S&W 642 will not go to waste as I carry it at times as a NY Reload!;) Here is a Pic of the 642 with the S&W 28 which was the first Handgun I bought in 1980. Good Shooter. The 642 has the trigger and hammer tuned by the S&W Performance Shop:D MY Wife Loves the Trigger on it!

Attached Files:

15. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    She doesn't want the 26, she just likes shooting it. Shes not confident or comfortable with a semi. I'd like to get my hands on a SW for her to try out at least.

16. I say ruger lcr if you want hammer less but if you want hammers I would go with the sp101 ruger they are great shooting guns and in my opinion always go with the 357mag she can practice with 38 but you always have that 357 option and in a self defense situation she won't know the difference in a 38 or 357

17. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I know things would be simpler if she liked semi autos, but ya know....

I just need to track some of these down and handle them.

18. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

How far are you from a Major City? You can try and find a gun range that rents them. Before you buy. I bought my Wife the 642 it didn't matter to me if she like it or not. I liked it:D I actually Bought it and when we went and picked it up I asked her how she like the trigger and she said WOW I love it so I asked her well would you carry it and she said Yes so I said Happy Birthday! We picked it up the day after her B Day! Now MY Daughter is pretty sure she wants a G30 after I had her shooting Kimbers, Smith Auto's Smith Revolvers and a whole array of Glocks. But we still want to try a G30SF and a G36 ( I may wind up buying 3 G36's if we all like them :rolleyes: So we are planning a trip out of town before her B Day so she can try these pistols. Just a thought!

19. Glockwork

Glockwork Member

Iowa
    I'm about 2-3 hours from any significantly sized city. :(

20. rageface

rageface New Member

Hands down. The Ruger LCR. Simple, reliable and comfortable to carry.