357sig conversion to 40s/w

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jlarson1980, Jun 10, 2012.

1. jlarson1980

jlarson1980 New Member

Recently convertered my model 32 glock to 40 s/w now my 357 sig mags have followers that are not tall enough to load the new caliber. How hard is to switch followers in and out if I order model 23 followers for my old mags

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Never heard of that issue. Somewhat related, I changed out springs in my old G23 mags and all three had slightlly different followers. The magazine has the most issues (doesn't eject with any "umph", if you will) is the one make LE only. I didn't know the mags were different.

3. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum jlarson1980! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

4. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome Jlarson! Enjoy the forum!

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've never heard of this issue either and it makes zero sense; the .357Sig is just a necked down .40. The only difference between the magazines should, literally, be the markings. How old are these magazines? What follower # do they have?

Updating to current followers is as easy as disassembling and reassembling the mags, but you shouldn't have to. Unless you just have older magazines or weak springs, you shouldn't need to do anything. As of the last time I checked, Glock was on the #8 follower for .40, so there have definitely been some tweaks over the years.

As far as the old "law enforcement only" mags, those haven't been made since at least 2004 and the majority are going to be older, possibly going back to 1994. Those magazines can't be updated past follower # 5; Glock redesigned the interior of the magazines, I forget exactly what they changed, but the redesign started with follower #6.

6. jlarson1980

jlarson1980 New Member

I have a gen 3 model 32 I have two 13rd mags and one 10 round I bought a new 23 mag and haven't had problems the 357 mags are just a hair shorter then the 40 mag

7. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I never noticed this until I changed the spring. The magazine is stamped 9/94 and has follower #5. The others are follower #6. Interesting stuff.

8. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

The magazines are not the same between calibers. The inner dimensions of the magazine tubes are different, as are the followers.

You could try some .40 #8 or #9. followers in the 13-round .357SIG magazines, but it may be better to buy separate .40 magazines so you don't have to switch followers between magazines every time you switch barrels, you can just use the different magazines.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  9. jlarson1980

jlarson1980 New Member

Yeah buying new mags is a spendy transition I'm trying to phase out my 357.sig no one seems to stock that round I'll just order some followers