Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
1. 357 Magnum.
2. Revolver.
3. "Glock" category?

Anyway, I have and highly recommend the SP101. Have a trigger job done to lighten up that horrendous New York trigger, and you're good to go. Only 5 rounds though :(

·
Banned
308 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
1. 357 Magnum.
2. Revolver.
3. "Glock" category?
I agree, wrong forum: this belongs in General Discussion >> General Firearm Forum.

We really do need to teach a basic forum usage course.

·
Registered
723 Posts
OF those three, I would go GP100, of any not listed I would look for a Dan Wesson 715, I made the mistake of selling my a long time ago.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
What .357 magnum revolver would you pick? A Smith and Wesson 686+ or a Ruger sp100 or sp 101?
If I had to pick one of those two it would be the Smith & Wesson 686+. Proven weapons maker, a life time guarantee and the first thing I think of when I hear .357 is S&W.

Now honestly the only .357 I would own will be my desert eagle converted over to .357. Change out the barrel, bolt assemble, mag and you will have 9+1 .357 rounds at your disposal. An since the gun uses a gas operating system and a rotating bolt assemble (like that you find in AR's) the recoil is less then a revolver. Yes the gun is on the big and heavy side but that doesn't bother me cause I have big hands.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
686 is a wonderful choice for the 357

Don't rule out the Taurus though, they have a warranty second to none, very reasonably priced, and in my experience they are rock solid. Their only draw back is trigger pull, the SA is nice, but the DA pull is long and not very smooth IMO.

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
My dad has an old S&W .357 long barrel. Never knew what model it was so we finally called up S&W, its a pre-27 model 1952. It's in excellent condition and while I never really had the revolvers grow on me as a style, I can't wait for this thing to be mine. Well, I guess I can since I can play with it now and like my dad enough to not have him die lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Glock_Guy199 said:
What .357 magnum revolver would you pick? A Smith and Wesson 686+ or a Ruger sp100 or sp 101?
I have 3 full sized 357s. What is your intention? Home defense? I'd say GP100. Target shooting and home defense? I'd still say GP100 but in a 4 or 5" barrel. Concealed carry? SP101.

Rugers are well made and sturdy. If you want a smoother trigger, get a trigger Job by a gunsmith. That's what I'm doing with a GP100.

I also have a Colt Python and Smith and Wesson Model 627 8 shot 357. I like having 8 shots in a revolver. The frame is not much larger than a GP100, either. You cannot go wrong with a 686. I'm just not a fan of gun locks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have vast experience in revolvers as I just got my first one for Christmas last year. I will say the S&W 686+ is one hell of a gun though. I really enjoy having it in the collection. After a few range trips I pretty much gave up shooting 38 specials out of it though... the full power mag rounds are just so much more fun!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I feel both the Ruger and the S&W are well made and perform well. I've only owned Rugers in the .22 cal, but can say all the S&W revolvers I've owned have been flawless.

And I agree that big magnum going off is so sweet!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Ruger SP101. When i was looking for somerthing a little more concealable then my G17 Gen1 way back in the 90's. I bought one, nice little gun fit in my pocket just fine with a leather pocket holster i did replace the factory grips with a Hogue it help minimize the shock of the .357 rounds when they went off.

I've since replaced with a G27 and a Kel-Tec PF9 for carry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Smith Wesson 686 plus or regular. The timing on the cylinder is about the best factory you can get. The triggers are typically fine even for the stock guns. You can smith your own fairly easy with a wolf spring kit and get the trigger smoother, lighter, or smoother double action pull without much effort.

I've owned Rugers, but they aren't my kettle of fish. The timing usually seems to lag on them for me and it's hard to find one that the double action trigger pull isn't either jerky, rough or feels like i'm pulling my finger through gritty mud. I am not a big fan of a getting guns where the purchase advice is get the gun and a trigger job all in one breath.

Taurus's can be nice, especially if you stick with the older models that have been around for awhile. You need to look them over good though. They tend to develop timing problems or end shake. The newer models seem to have more then their fair share of issues, but you get that lifetime warranty.

No one mentioned colts, but the Python is nice. Owned one that I traded for a rifle (another bad life path decision) in college. Probably nicest factory gun I ever owned, but way to nice to lug around all the time. The timing on it was finicky as well and I had it back to colt once to fix and probably was headed again right before I traded it.

I've owned one or more specimens from each company, plus regrettably a few Llamas. I think the smiths are generally better guns, although they did have a few craptastic quality control years in the 80s early 90s. I've put a thousands of rounds through them and treated more then one very poorly and they never did me wrong. The after market support is excellent for both upgrade parts and accessories. Someone mentioned the locks, I've got one with a lock and none on the rest. Smith and Wesson makes them either way depending on the model and rumor has it they are ditching them all together. If you fear the lock, look for used ones. I see more 686s then you can shake a stick at at the local fun shows. Most are in good shape and can be had at a good price for little negotiation.

I have no regrets with parting with any of them other then the smiths, in particular a early 686 stainless that I cut down to 3" myself when I was in college. Sold it to a friend in a moment of high powered rifle shooting fever. Tried to buy it back from him a couple years back only to find out that after having kids he let his wife take all his guns to a buy back thing in NM. Poor thing probably was turned into staples or a hammer.

malladus

·
Banned
202 Posts
I have had the pleasure of owning both a S&W 686 and a Ruger GP100 and I have shot a Ruger SP101 many times. All three are solidly built guns that I would have no problem using for defensive purposes. It really comes down to why you want it. If you are wanting a good gun for concealed carry, the SP101 would be the best option. If size isn't an issue, price may be your determining factor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts