Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
yep, 308 is a hell of a round. Its my favorite for bolt action, and a contender for semi auto 'combat' rifle.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I shot mine just today!! I love the .308. It just "Feels Good" to me!!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Won a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 at the Friends of NRA dinner a month ago...then I left the country for a vacation....without ever having had a chance to fire her yet....she calls to me across the miles....Shoot Me! Shoot Me!

Be patient, my dear, I will be back....with a box of .308 ammo for you! :D

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Won a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 at the Friends of NRA dinner a month ago...then I left the country for a vacation....without ever having had a chance to fire her yet....she calls to me across the miles....Shoot Me! Shoot Me!

The Black Rock Desert awaits your return. For the long shots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts

Wish I could get that lucky. That's a great rifle, we use the 700P set up similar to the M24. It's a heavy sucker, but man what a tack driver.

I'd love to get my hands on a 5R.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm posting this having just recently purchased an AR15 because I had to have one and felt it is THE American rifle. I'm not putting the.223 down I love shooting it. I just had never compared them that close. I may have to pull a few more calibers.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
You just pull them out with pliers?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Great round. and the 700 is one of my "dream" rifles.

But for a battle rifle, ammo is king. If i can carry more rounds in the same amount of weight, then I'm going with the .223.

For some reason, I thought that is one of the reasons why the .223 was selected as the caliber of choice. I know there were several studies done on .223 vs 7x62. I must of have 10 or 11 when I read them. (a long time ago).

I read a lot when i was kid. What can I say.

D

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Great round. and the 700 is one of my "dream" rifles.

But for a battle rifle, ammo is king. If i can carry more rounds in the same amount of weight, then I'm going with the .223.

For some reason, I thought that is one of the reasons why the .223 was selected as the caliber of choice. I know there were several studies done on .223 vs 7x62. I must of have 10 or 11 when I read them. (a long time ago).

I read a lot when i was kid. What can I say.

D
I don't know if this is true but I swear I read that the .308 was developed as the caliber of choice for our snipers in Vietnam? Can anyone verify or debunk that?

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
May just be more gun world legend, but I've read many times that the m16 and consequently the 5.56 (or vice versa) came to replace the m14 because the military wanted soldiers and marines to be able to carry alot more ammo. I think 11lbs is 330rds of 5.56 vs 140rds of 7.62x51, that's a heck of a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I don't know if this is true but I swear I read that the .308 was developed as the caliber of choice for our snipers in Vietnam? Can anyone verify or debunk that?
I've read that the 168gr was, but not the 7.62x51 in general, it was in service years before vietnam

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
.308 was originally a hunting round from what I remember.

that's what happens when you read too much. Filing system doesn't improve with age and all the articles you read in the past start to run together. :rolleyes:

BURNING MAN, eh?
I've wanted to go work "security" there for a while. Interesting cross section of folks....

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Wish I could get that lucky. That's a great rifle, we use the 700P set up similar to the M24. It's a heavy sucker, but man what a tack driver.

I'd love to get my hands on a 5R.
Heh!

Two years ago at the same FNRA dinner I won a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical in black poly furniture with collapsing and folding stock. My daughter also won a steel plate self-resetting target (a mini duelling tree) good for up to .44Mag.

Last year all I got was an NRA-logoed knife set, but pretty cool still!

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I go to D.U. dinners all the time and buy every firearm raffle ticket I meet, but I never win anything :mad:

A few years ago at a DU dinner there was one guy who won (I think) 4 or the 7 or 8 firearms that were raffled off. He barely escaped the lynch mob :eek:

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
.308 was originally a hunting round from what I remember.

that's what happens when you read too much. Filing system doesn't improve with age and all the articles you read in the past start to run together. :rolleyes:

BURNING MAN, eh?
I've wanted to go work "security" there for a while. Interesting cross section of folks....
you put it mildly!

and, oh yes, lotsa choices for moving targets.... tee-hee:p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts