3.5 pound trigger

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by elonsmk1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. elonsmk1

elonsmk1 New Member

Is nessary to have the 3.5pound trigger? I actually enjoy the original 5 pound trigger pull.

2. I personally don't think so but that is just me. :)

Maybe if you were to get into competition shooting it might be worth it.

3. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Nope, it isn't necessary at all, just personal preference. I like it myself, but I try to dry fire every day to learn my trigger and better control.

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

For EDC, no I would leave it alone. For comp, personal choice and I chose yes.

5. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

It doesn't feel lighter to me, just a cleaner, crisper break. I have the Ghost 3.5 in my 23 gen4 and I love it

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Any modifications to the trigger of a firearm are never necessary, they are always a matter of preference.

That being said, I have seen brand new revolvers with 18-20+ lb trigger pulls (and my gauge only goes up to 22 lbs!), and if the owner really MUST have that particular revolver, I think having to use two fingers on the trigger is excessive, and the gun needs a trigger job.

Thankfully, semiautos do not suffer this disease, and I have yet to see a semiauto that "needed" any work in the trigger pull weight area. It is all a matter of personal preference, usually pointing in the direction of utility in terms of what the owner wants to do with the gun.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have seen pistols (revolvers and 1911s) whose trigger pull is so light and short that it is scary to hold. I would never do this (or have that done) to any firearm unless it was a competition-only firearm. But then again, too many mods from factory spec, and it defeats the purpose, doesn't it? It ain't the original gun anymore.

The only quantitative way to mesure any improvement in trigger pull weight is to use a trigger pull gauge before and after. Anything else is unquantitative "feel", and the feel of a Glock trigger pull can be improved simply by lightly polishing the transfer bar. Add a good (polished) connector in there, and the pull weight may go down slightly (depending on the type of connector), but there will be no "grittiness" or "slop" in the trigger (things that need to be felt, and can't be measured).

We are fortunate that Glocks can be modded as easily as this, whereas Berettas, XDs, 1911s and so on, will need a gunsmith's attentions and parts that cost more than a single connector. Same with revolvers.

I have had a lot of people ask me about a "simple" trigger job, and in many cases (for most revolvers especially), a spring replacement is required (hammer spring) and/or the trigger reset spring, as well as a polish and squaring-off job on the internals. I have done this on a few occasions: apply liberal amounts of Flitz polishing compound on the internals of a firearm, then dry-fire it a thousand times or so, then clean it out, relube, and viola! a much more comfortable pull....and all this does is accelerate the breaking-in wear on the internals, with the Flitz helping contact surfaces to wear into each other. Of course, buying a thousand rounds of ammo and shooting it off would achieve the same thing, not as fast nor as efficiently, but in a fun and infinitely more satisfying way!

Sorry for the ramble....My $0.02....

Cheers!

7. EvilD

EvilD New Member

This

Just changing your connector will not give you a lighter trigger pull, makybe 1/4 pound, not really noticeable. You need to do the springs too and if you want the lightest possible with the stock trigger, you need to put in a lighter striker spring, but you risk the chance of light primer hit with the stock weight striker.

8. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I have the connector and the springs.

9. EvilD

EvilD New Member

And yo didn't notice a difference in weight? Do you get any light primer strikes? seems to be a 50/50 issue

10. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I haven't noticed a thing except for a shorter trigger travel, longer reset, and crisper pull.

11. elonsmk1

elonsmk1 New Member

Thank you for the info.

12. msbella

msbella New Member

It's not necessary. I did it because it's easier for me. If you enjoy it, stick with it. :)

13. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I think 3.5 is fine for EDC. It's even better for competition purposes. That's just my opinion though. My finger doesn't go on the trigger unless I'm ready to fire so I have nothing worry about. This should be the practice of anyone who touches or uses a firearm.

14. Blades

Blades Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk[/ame]

15. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Exactly! My finger doesn't go on the trigger unless I'm ready to pull it!

16. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I noticed a big diff in my 34 but had to take the striker spring out and put the original back in.

17. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I had to put the sear spring back in because once the trigger safety was engaged, it would stay back instead of springing back to the front and re-engaging.