2nd time at range

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by PeacefulWarrior, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

Yesterday was my second time at the range, second time shooting my Glock. I'm still off center at 10 yards... Left & low. Better than last week. I think I figured out my largest fault - flinching.
    There was one time (out of shooting 150 rounds) that I did not pull the trigger, thought it was back, and was shocked to find myself drop/push the gun down a half to a full inch! WOW, I had no idea. it was like an involuntary jerk.
    I thought I was pretty sure about my stance, grip, and even dealing with recoil - which is not anything to be concerned about with a Glock 19. Yet, it appears in my subconscious, I am reacting to that recoil physically every time I pull the trigger.
    Consciously I have no fear of recoil after the first day i shot, but that was only a week ago. Yesterday was better, I'm going to try to go every Tuesday from now on. Any suggestions?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Let's see a target or two...the picture will tell all !

3. PeacefulWarrior

BTW, I left when an older couple (late 60's) showed up and she started shooting toward the sky, across lanes, and he was sweeping the gun around like something from a bad kids cartoon.

4. PeacefulWarrior

Far left was my first target of the day. I shot most left of mug intended target. Color coded. Middle target self explanatory. Right target color coded. Sorry picture is poor quality, using an iPod which has a kid's toy camera, essentially.

image-2388552230.jpg

5. PeacefulWarrior

BTW, this is my second time shooting any hand gun. Last time I shot any weapon before last week was 20 years ago as a soldier. I'm new to hand guns.

6. SHOOTER13

Copy and print this target...take it to the range next time out !!

Aim dead center...and where it hits is what you are doing wrong.

[​IMG]

7. PeacefulWarrior

Excellent. Will take this next Tuesday. Much appreciated!

8. SHOOTER13

No problem...let us know how you make out !!

9. PeacefulWarrior

Will do, wish I lived where I could shoot every day. If only I had known when we bought this house...

10. Would suggest dry fire practicing. It's a lot easier to see exactly what your muzzle is doing right at the moment of trigger release when your firearm isn't going bang and giving muzzle flash. Can't begin to tell you the improvements seen after just a couple of dry fire sessions. You're doing well for just a couple of times at the range, it can be a little intimidating the first few visits - keep at it and you'll be golden in no time.

11. PeacefulWarrior

An issue I have is when I dry fire, I am perfectly still. I put snap caps on the slide and nothing moves at all when I squeeze the trigger. When I get to the range, consciously I am fine, but I know there's some unfounded anxiety with recoil. I notice my hands get shaky... And I don't attribute it to multiple cups of coffee... Guess I'm going to have to work on my mind as well as form! Have to figure out how to address my subconsciousness getting in the way.

12. Ryan92

Ryan92 New Member

Buy some Snap Caps and randomly throw them in the mix when you reload your mags. When you get to the Snap Cap you will see what you are really doing while shooting.... Great tool. With that said, I dont have any.

13. PeacefulWarrior

Great idea... one I've heard before but didn't think of for myself. That will reveal something. As I said earlier, with one of my shots, before the trigger was fully engaged, I was shocked to see my wrists/weapon move down. I just stared for a moment thinking I'd had a seizure! That revealed my subconscious error. I guess somewhere inside the recoil bothers me still. That's one of the reasons why I bought a 9mm and not something bigger... getting used to recoil.

14. SIR

SIR New Member

Thank you.

15. PeacefulWarrior

^^ used it... Will keep working on it!