Glock Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a difficult time trying to decide if I should get a xps dell with a ssd drive with 256 gb. Or the standard 1tb 5400 drive

I would like the space of the 5400. But it seems that the hard drive would be the slowest part of the system.. Why have 8gig of ram and a screaming processor and have a slow drive?

I may have answered my own question... Lol.

Any one have any thoughts?

·
Registered
217 Posts
5400 RPM is really slow for a desktop when you don't need the power saving advantages.

If you can afford the SSD get it for your OS and Applications and then get a secondary drive (larger, slower, cheaper) for longer term data storage of items you don't access frequently.

You will see the difference in performance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The question is do you need the speed or the capacity? I have 300GB WD velociraptor that is one of the fastest mechanical HD's ever made & I still have about 120GB empty space.

FYI mine's a 2.5 yr old i7 with 8GB memory that I've built myself & it still rocks.

Also you can get them both. Use the sad for your OS & application drive & use the 1TB for swap file, temp folders & all your data.

Cheers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bocadan said:
The question is do you need the speed or the capacity? I have 300GB WD velociraptor that is one of the fastest mechanical HD's ever made & I still have about 120GB empty space.

FYI mine's a 2.5 yr old i7 with 8GB memory that I've built myself & it still rocks.

Also you can get them both. Use the sad for your OS & application drive & use the 1TB for swap file, temp folders & all your data.

Cheers.
Thanks. I think I'm going with the ssd. Faster cooler etc...

I'll get an external for all the misc junk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts