25 States So Far Lose Reciprocity in Virginia Feb. 1st 2020

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by NQNPIII, Jan 18, 2020.

1. NQNPIII

NQNPIII Well-Known Member

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-revokes-handgun-permit-agreement-with-25-states

RICHMOND, Va. – Concealed handgun permits held by residents of 25 states will no longer be valid in Virginia, the state's attorney general said Tuesday, drawing swift criticism from GOP lawmakers.

Attorney General Mark Herring, a Democrat, said the state will revoke its reciprocity agreement with the states because their concealed weapon laws don't meet Virginia's standards. Those states hand out permits to people who are barred under the Virginia law, like fugitives, convicted stalkers and drug dealers, which undermines the state's law and puts residents at risk, he said.

"Evenly, consistently and fairly enforcing Virginia's concealed handgun permit law, as we are now doing, means that it will be more difficult for potentially dangerous individuals to conceal their handguns here in Virginia and that will make Virginians safer, especially Virginian law enforcement," Herring said.

The move means that Virginians will no longer be able to use their concealed handgun permits in six states that require a mutual reciprocity agreement: Florida, Louisiana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming.

John Whitbeck, chairman of the Virginia Republican Party, said Herring's announcement was further proof that Democrats have "declared war on the Second Amendment."

The top Republican in the GOP-controlled House of Delegates said that Herring is "damaging the integrity of the office he holds."

"Despite promising to take politics out of the attorney general's office, Mark Herring consistently seeks to interpret and apply the law of the Commonwealth through the lens of his own personal, political opinions," House Speaker William Howell said.

Lars Dalseide, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said concealed handgun reciprocity agreements between states have ended before, but his organization is unaware of another state ever implementing a change of this magnitude.

States are currently being notified about the change, which goes into effect on Feb. 1, Herring said. The only states that have tough enough laws to maintain their reciprocity agreement with Virginia are: Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and West Virginia, he said.

The states whose permits Virginia will no longer recognize are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

2. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I am okay with not spending my hard earned $$$ in Virginia.

joeb1, LElliott and encee like this.

3. NQNPIII

It has been brought to my attention that this article is from 2015. I saw Mark Herring's name (current AG) and aSSumbed it was current. Not sure where I got the heads up on this. Virginia backed down then.

4. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

#metoo

5. NQNPIII

Update:They are dredging up the old rules.

6. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Of course!
    I wonder if all the 2A counties could become West Virginia?

7. NQNPIII

anyone find a good live stream? I'm watching this they are nowhere near the fenced in protest area. I did see Alex Jones walk by

8. How many seats in the VA legislature went uncontested by a GOP candidate in the most recent state election? 30? Toothpaste already out of the tube in VA..time for the lame GOP 'machine' in VA to do a MUCH better job next election cycle. Hooting and holering at public meetings does nothing. Only important 'poll' is the one at the voting location.

NWG40, elk creek and Southlake like this.
  9. NQNPIII

Not many IIRC. Dumb asses.

10. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Their Gubernor backed by 'Soreholes' money will be removed legally.

11. NQNPIII

Don't bet the farm on that. Look at their last governor. They had a conservative running, the dems threw some money at the indie/libertarian and he took the votes needed to win. Ken Cuccinelli would have been a great governor.

Danzig and LElliott like this.
  12. LElliott

Soros threw $millions at it. He will fail, besides, I don't have a farm to bet, just my gut. POTUS keeps sayin that ALL of our 2A rights will rule. If ya can't trust him, who can ya?

13. potus called for UBC, age limit to 21 and RFL...so.....depends on his audience and whether or not the TV cameras are on....

14. LElliott

And you trust who else then?

Southlake likes this.
  15. Danzig

Texas
    I’m voting for Trump just like last time and I’m happy with a number of things, his 2A record? Not so much. I don’t trust anyone I don’t personally know.

LElliott and Southlake like this.
  16. LElliott

I never talked to Trump personally, but I feel I personally know him like millions of others do. He relates and he's promised many many times that nobody is gonna mess with our 2A rights as long as he's on office. He's kept his promises and then some so far. Who else can you trust that way?

Pelosi with no make up.jpg

Trump damn I like that.jpg

17. Danzig

Texas
    Trump conspired with the NRA to push the Bump Fire Stock ban through. I kinda take that as a betrayal. Not enough to poison me from voting for him but portraying yourself as Mr.2A and being, are 2 different things.
    I’ll mark off not pursuing or getting any pro-2A bills through Congress as a learning curve but actually having pro-2A legislation rammed through like DACA or Obamacare would go a long way in him earning my trust.

GlockGhost likes this.
  18. MWJOHNSON

MWJOHNSON Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member Supporter

SE Texas
    #MeToo

LElliott and Southlake like this.
  19. I trust ZERO politicians..their motivations vary, are not consistent, are based on $ more than any ideology or 'courage of their convictions'.

LElliott likes this.
  20. Greywood

Greywood Low speed High drag Supporter

NYS
    Virginia is my home state! It's also where I keep my guns that I dont want or cant bring into NY!
    One of the problems is all these Northern Libs move into other states and want the laws in their new state to reflect where they came from. Solution.....keep your liberal ass where it is! Dont move to 2A states and if you do remember you chose to move there...accept the culture and be tolerant!....atleast that's what they preach! Also these transplants get into these new areas and help elect more libs in said state and taxes rise!
    People in the South wont roll over and can only be pushed so far!