25 cent trigger jobs

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by scarecrow673, Dec 7, 2011.

1. scarecrow673

scarecrow673 New Member

Have you done any ? Did you like results ? Didn't really notice much difference myself. I didn't get real aggressive with polishing though.

2. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Did it on two guns, will do on third eventually, and fourth when I get #4, it make the trigger pull smoother, not lighter. I haven't done it on my 17 yet and don't' expect much change since I have over 10,000 rounds through it, but i will do it any way.

3. no point in doing it @ 10k rnds.....
    the purpose of the trigger job is to make the gun feel like it has 10k rnds through it.

and you can make it lighter buy polishing the catch on the rear of the firing pin (striker)

4. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Might do it any way just because I like to mess with stuff. The Wolff spring pack greatly reduced the pull weight along with a #3.5 connector.

5. I feel ya there, one of my GLOCKs are from 1997 (G30) it has more than 10k through it and we still did some work to it, and it is UNBELIEVABLY smooth with a crisp, light release.

6. Dirty J

Dirty J This forum sucks.

I just dropped a Ghost 3.5# connector into my G36. It made a huge difference. Lighter, crisper break. I love it.

$15.00 well spent.

7. DVCguns

DVCguns New Member

Use to do it, just run the gun now, making sure I have plenty of Lubriplate on the moving parts of the trigger assy.. The 3.5 is too spongy for me compared to stock, YMMV.

8. bustedknee

bustedknee New Member

Worth about what I paid for it.

Get out there and shoot it smooth.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Well, at least you're honest about it.

But honestly after running 10,000 rounds thru it, it has been done the correct way. Anything you do will only screw it up. The parts are friction worn, broken it now.

How about this:
    • When was the last time you replaced the recoil spring?
    • When was the last time you checked to see if there were any upgrades to do from GLOCK?
    • Detail striped and cleaned the weapon?

10. EvilD

EvilD New Member

When I got my G34 a 8 months ago i put it's recoil spring into my G17 which had a less than year old ISMI 13lb recoil spring that went into the 34
    6 mos ago I checked and called to see if there was any updates, nada
    About 3 months ago I took the whole thing apart and cleaned the hell out of it.

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Not knowing the condition of the gun, you or Scarcrows capabilities: I have to say, Take it to a Certified Glock Armorer and have it checked out.
    We know how to test the components of the guns in the field and correctly asscess the need for replacements.
    Of utmost concern is the proper safety checks that need to be addressed. You and he most likely don't have the training or material to conduct these test.

12. DON1962

DON1962 New Member

I'm new to the forum but I've been shooting Glocks for quite a while and now own 6.
    All I've ever done to any of my Glocks is to clean and lube.

The only thing I'd like to smooth up is the trigger safety. They all bite my trigger finger but my 20 is a real pain after shooting only 2 mags. I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem and what they did to correct it.

I'm 74yrs. old now and I will never put 10,000 rounds thru any of my hand guns in the time I have left so some work on the internals may be in order.:)

13. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

I took the armorers class last november and glock recommends inspecting the springs/parts anually. There is other procedures and parts that need to be inspected. I will also agree on the advised of taking it to a glock armorer to have it check. I will replace all the springs regardless if its working fine becuase of the amount of rounds.

You want to make sure the gun will perform when its needed to save your live.

14. jayta98

jayta98 New Member

when you talk about the trigger safety, are you refering to the small plastic piece in the middle of the trigger right? Is that what is really stiff? or you are refering to the trigger pull that is stiff?

15. I feel it makes it smoother but not enough to justify removing the anti corrosion.

16. DON1962

DON1962 New Member

It's the small plastic piece that irritates my finger. It's a stock trigger and the pull is about the same as my other Glocks. I't's when it fires that this small piece bites my finger. I'm going to take it apart and polish the internals and while I have the trigger out I'll try smoothing the edges of the piece I'm talking about. Right now I just wrap a piece of tape around my finger and that helps.:)
    Thanks for your reply.

17. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I know what you're talking about. On hot humid days I can get the same wear on my finger.

I seem to get my finger too low on the trigger and it gets caught between the lower edge of the trigger and the trigger guard, pinching my finger when I release the pressure on the trigger.

More shooting and training to keep my finger out of that area helped.

18. Cant say i have ever pinched my finger with a trigger lol

19. DVCguns

DVCguns New Member

I had a customer bring his G23 in the other day that dremeled out a pocket under the trigger because he pinches his finger between the trigger and guard. Obviously is shooting on the tip of the trigger instead of the curve.

Everyone's grip is different I guess, but it would seem painful to shoot on the tip all the time. He did shorten the trigger tip also to make it more comfortable.

20. IMO, and again, IMO, people who shoot on the tip are not getting a smooth squeeze but rather an awkward pull on the trigger. The tension is all placed into the finger tip, which is probably also why you are getting pinched because the sudden release of the trigger is sending the finger tip down and back directly into that area.

By using the curve of the finger and squeezing uniformly you are not only going to improve in accuracy and tire less at the range, but you are never going to pinch your finger. In a severe case of the above in a panic situation you may even jam your finger tip and prevent the trigger from reseting as expected.

You should really practice a change of habit. Sorry for the short reply earlier, I hate typing on my phone.