Glock Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
All,

I want to use my new stainless Ruger 10/22 to ~100' with standard velocity ammo. I'm ok with fixed power for the plinking, but variable will allow closer shots which will probably be most common. Having said that, I could use input on which scope you have and like for this purpose. My budget plan is $175 but willing to spend more if popularity dictates.

So far I have these in the selection list for different reasons:

Nikon P-RIMFIRE BDC 150 Rifle Scope
Vortex® Crossfire II
HAWKE SPORT HD IR 4-12×40
Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 BDC
Simmons 3-9x40 Matte Truplex (very low price, not so sure about this one)
Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
All,

I want to use my new stainless Ruger 10/22 to ~100' with standard velocity ammo. I'm ok with fixed power for the plinking, but variable will allow closer shots which will probably be most common. Having said that, I could use input on which scope you have and like for this purpose. My budget plan is $175 but willing to spend more if popularity dictates.

So far I have these in the selection list for different reasons:

Nikon P-RIMFIRE BDC 150 Rifle Scope
Vortex® Crossfire II
HAWKE SPORT HD IR 4-12×40
Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 BDC
Simmons 3-9x40 Matte Truplex (very low price, not so sure about this one)
Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire

Thanks in advance.
I have been using the Leupold Rimfire on my Ruger Takedown 10/22 for 3 years now and have never had to re zero it. Very accurate too....http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...22&gclid=CPmSi9De7ckCFQGFgQodkA8Ptw&gclsrc=ds

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using the Leupold Rimfire on my Ruger Takedown 10/22 for 3 years now and have never had to re zero it. Very accurate too....
Leupold! Embarrassed to say I overlooked that line. Above the budget but I like it enough to consider it. Added to the options!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
For the money and warranty, I'd go with Vortex due to lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I put the Vortex scope on my 10/22, and I have no issues with doing so at this point in time. I put a bunch of money into accurizing the rifle, and I don't feel I'm losing anything with a budget scope.

At the higher magnifications, it is sometimes "picky" when it comes to getting a nice image (it vignettes a bit), but the image can be obtained with some moving around a bit.

I comfortably shoot that scope at 10x and the image is very good.

Dave

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Topleft,

Your best choice is to go with a scope with a AO or side parallax adjustment knob that can focus/adjusted to the nearest distance you are planning to shoot. My suggestion is to go with a airgun scope or rimfire scope that can be dialed down to feet.

The reasons why follows..

The higher the magnification the more parallax error you will have. The closer the distance combined with the higher magnification and the inherit parallax error in the scope multiply the errors.

In severe cases, the object you're magnifying will look blurred to some degree especially at high mag and close distance. This will equate to a widen POI. In moderate to minor cases, your POI will shift as your eye ever slightly will look through a different part of the rear glass due to slight change of viewing angle caused by recoil. A constant and consistent cheek weld will not completely eliminate the error, but needless to say...will help some.

A variable with AO that can be dialed down to feet or your nearest distance.. ___ to 12x or 14x would be ideal.

Centerfire scopes are usually set parallax free at 100 yards. Rimfire scopes are usually set to 50 yards, but with both you do want to check the specs. Companies like Burris and I believe Leupold will adjust the error to near 50 yards for something like 60 bucks. Given that you are looking for a Variable scope for your 10/22 for accuracy at different distances, A "AO" is a what I would suggest.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
SSR makes a good point. The Crossfire II that I have is an adjustable objective scope. Just look for AO after any scope description. Side parallax adjustment does the same thing, but with a separate knob.

Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put a Crossfire II on my AR and I think the bang for the buck is great. I got a 6-18 AO and the adjustment is spot on. I shot about 10 rounds to get it sighted in and I'm very impressed with it so far.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Topleft,

To check for error.

Put your crosshairs preferably on a small dot, bull, and grid at a known distance.
Have your rifle in a natural point of aim.. don't touch the rifle while
looking through your scope and tilt your head up and down, roll left to right etc.. The crosshairs should not appear to float, drift, bounce, or move.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I've got Vortex on my Savage 93 22 WMR and savage 93 17HMR. great scopes for squirrel hunting.
I have both the same guns. I use Leupold. Either or is going to be great. With literally no Recoil to them these guns can be great with much less money spent on Optics....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.