.22LR Glock and Zombie Survival Guide

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by uprootedyank, Feb 21, 2012.

1. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

First off, has anyone read "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks? I purchased it for entertainment, but was surprised to find some really great information in it.

In the book, he recommended keeping a .22 cal handgun or rifle around for your S.H.T.F. or G.O.O.D. bag. His reasoning is the ammo is lighter so you can bring more with you, it's cheap so you can practice more, and finally (and most importantly): the only way to kill a zombie is with a head shot. A heavy caliber round might punch a hole and keep going, where a .22 has been known to bounce around inside the skull and cause more damage to brain matter.

So.... Why does Glock not make a .22?

2. They make .22 conversion kits

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Glock does not, but other companies do. As to why you want one I don't know. If I was getting a .22 it would be a Walter.

4. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into them. I really like the idea of this one with the built-in laser.

[​IMG]

5. I would use the conversion kit to use for cheaper target practice while at the same time getting the feel for the Glock does that make sense ?

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Really nice to shoot, I can put down two mags on target in less than ten seconds. Including original load and reload in between.

7. SnarkKnuckle

SnarkKnuckle New Member

I love my Walther P22. A lot of fun to shoot. However, I don't have one of those fancy lasers on it ;)

8. My friends P22 was one finicky weapon when it came to ammo. I loved the gun when he first got it....a few range trips later my opinion changed along with his and the gun was sold to another friend while we were at the range.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

"The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks?

Never read it...I'll have to pick up a copy.

10. ballcoach16

ballcoach16 New Member

Just bought a Ruger SR22 pistol and it is awesome. Check the reviews. Seems to be much less finicky than the Walther.

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Once the bullet goes through a zombies head their dead so even if the bullet would punch through, they are still dead. Even better, you can get mulitple kills with one bullet lol

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Makes perfect sense, and with all the bad reviews of the walther p22 and the sig mosquito I've read online even more reason to get the conversion IMO

13. mlawrence

mlawrence New Member

If anyone has a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide they want to share, I would love to read it and pass it on. As for the caliber of gun to carry, I choose my .17 HMR. While everyone else is scrambling to get .22 I will be golden, and if the S.H.T.F, then I will ne pushing 3000fps through some Zombies Noggins. And my backup will be my 19 of course!

14. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

You will love it.

15. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

According to the Zombie Survival Guide, you have to completely destroy the brain to render them helpless. Damaging a small portion of their brain may not kill them all the way...

16. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

Sorry, you're not getting my copy. This is a book that you study and keep around to review when S.H.T.F. Not read once and discard.

17. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Shoot more than once :)

18. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Ordered the book online. $11 with shipping.

19. HIGHLY recommend a .22LR firearm of some kind, personally, Im looking into the Mossburg Tactical series, around $215, Ar-style rifle, pretty nice

20. uprootedyank

uprootedyank New Member

When you read your copy that you just ordered, you will see that he does not recommend the .22 as a primary weapon, but as a good backup. Again, the benefits being that the ammo is cheaper, lighter, and smaller so you can carry more of it with you on the move. Also, even you are able to obtain a silencer with our ridiculous laws, they silence well.

I have a .22 Marlin 18 shot semi-auto that I bought for less than $150. I got it because my Dad has one just like it and I wanted to teach my daughter to use it. It's a great gun and if I had to, I could shoot it one-handed.

I do want a .22 handgun though.