.22 for Range

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Dan75719, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I wish Glock made a .22 model. It is getting expensive using 9mm at the range all the time. I have been looking to get a .22 to use for practice. My sights have been on the Smith & Wesson M&P22. Does anyone own this gun or have any opinions (positive or negative) about this gun?

2. PJones

PJones New Member

I've been wanting the same thing myself. I was watching a show on the outdoor channel. They had a 1911 that was in .22. I think it was by Chapua or something like that.

Also last time I was at the range I saw they had a glock conversion kit that goes from 9mm to .22. I believe it was by lone wolf. I think it was around 300 bucks though.

3. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I have seen those conversion kits and you are right about the price. My thoughts on that though is for just a little more I can buy a whole new gun and not have to worry about the kit.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

5. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I got a M&P 22 about two weeks ago. If you are a looking for something in a "full size" semi-auto style I think it is one of the best options around right now for the price. It is a ton of fun to shoot. It almost makes me want to buy the M&P 9MM...

One thing I don't like about the gun is the sights. When it comes to hand guns I have sort of cut my teeth on standard Glock sights and anything else gives me fits. After putting another 200 rounds through the M&P 22 today I decided I need to find new sights so I am actually looking around right now.

6. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I have never shot th m&p 22 so I can't say anything negative nor positive about it but I have put several thousands of rounds thru the Ruger Mark II.
    Great pistol in my opinion.

ForumRunner_20120602_211516.jpg

7. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

The M&P 9mm is the one I really want. I have shot that one and I really like it, but then I would be in the same position that I am in now with my Glock 19 when it comes to ammo. That's why I was looking at the 22 since it is basically the same thing.

I have heard these were good. I have just never shot one.

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

The M&P 22 is actually made entirely by Walther. I'm not entirely sure of the details, it's been discussed on the Waltherforums, and it appears the frame is made by Walther in Ulm and the upper is made by Umarex (who owns Walther). That's the scenario that makes the most sense anyway, and is based on the proof marks. I know for sure that it was designed by Walther for S&W and S&W imports it.

I've heard only good things so far.

Of the guns I've looked at, the Ruger SR22 is the one that appeals to me the most. I've got a S&W 22A, which is fine, I'm just not that fond of it.

9. Darthash473

Darthash473 New Member

Midwayusa.com has had a conversion, I think they still do. Just search for it. I believe its for the G22. And yes, it was expensive.

I have one for a 1911 and it's great except it's just for one of my 3. The oldest, made in 1936. Both the conversion and the pistol stays in a safe, not to be used. I thought about tinkering with it to get it to fit but I don't want to ruin it.

The biggest problem with it was the mags are a pain to load and expensive themselves. It's much easier to burn through a 10 rnd .22 mag than a 7-8 rnd .45. I spent most of the time reloading. I have the same issue with my AR .22 conversion. Five seconds of kick a** plinking and 2 minutes of reloading.

The other thing to be mindful of, in my opinion, you practice shooting to gain muscle memory. Both in trigger pull and recovery from the recoil and getting back on target. A .22 will obviously have a different feel. It's just an observation that I believe in and prevented me from buying a conversion.

It's up to you, but I'd rather shoot full size ammo and KNOW I can put down the crack heads or zombies than HOPE I can.

10. Darthash473

Darthash473 New Member

22 pistols are fun. The Walther P22 is what I shoot. Happened upon it at a pawn shop. Pain in the a** to disassemble and clean and kind of on the smallish size but it's a trip!

11. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

Good point

12. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Lmao tell me about. But I love it and ran fine until 800rds thats when I had to clean it.

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Ruger Mark III 22/45. I love that gun.

14. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

The Ruger sr 22 right now is the pistol to beat on the market! It cycle bulk ammo is is good looking, easy to disassemble, and priced very well! It has not disappointed. Very accurate as well and includes adjustable sights!!

15. cvitter

cvitter New Member

The SR22 is a nice pistol and I considered getting one but I found that it was too small for me. The M&P 22 is a full size gun that fits better in my hand a feels more like a full size gun.

16. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I had a Ruger Mark II.
    Excellent for .22 plinking.

I sold it so I could get the Advantage Arms Conversion kit.
    Why?

B/e with it, I can practice with the same trigger and frame. I don't have to switch back and forth between firearms and re-adjust to a frame and trigger pull.

Proficiency comes with practice and practicing with, at least, the same frame and trigger group is going to be more beneficial in the long run than changing between weapons.

Just a thought.

D

17. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

I had a P22 and it's a pita to deal with . I now have a S&W 22a target pistol. Paid $200 used great little shooter . Has rails for optics and all . Inexpensive gun and ammo

18. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Yes it is smaller but with the large grip it's great and I'm not a small guy I'm 6 feet tall. Its about the size of a Glock 19 just not as thick. I looked at the m&p but it costs more and didn't seem to be of better quality. The slide on the sr22 is aluminum.

19. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I agree with you on this. If your primary carry gun is your G19 then I would get a conversion and put the same sights on it has you G19.

And if ammo prices are getting to you, you could start reloading if you don't already. Just my $.02 lol

20. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I do not reload. Is that very hard to do?