.22 caliber hand guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by hrvstar1100, Mar 7, 2012.

1. what is a good .22 caliber handgun to get?

2. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Although there are mixed feelings about them on the internets, I love my Walther P22. That being said the Ruger SR22 is a direct competitor and from what I hear is a tad better gun than the P22. And finally if you don't mind the Saturday Night Special BS, you can get a Phoenix HP22 for around $120. I have one and it is a FUN gun...

3. I have a Ruger Mk 2 and a Smith & Wesson 22A, Both are reliable and accurate. The S&W will devour anything, the Ruger's a bit fussier. The S&W has a built in sight rib with rail for mounting optics, but the sights re so good I never have.

4. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

My friend has a Ruger Mark III and that thing is fun to shoot! I know Kel Tec has a .22 magnum, and it looks like fun!

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I own three .22's ...it's a fun caliber for plinking and it's cheap to shoot !!

Everyone should own at least one .22 rifle...this one will chamber .22 short, .22 long,

and .22 long rifle...

[​IMG]

My .22 long rifle pistol...

[​IMG]

and my .22 magnum derringer...

[​IMG]

6. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

Ruger 10/22 Charger Archangel conversion..... It's a handgun, sort of....

ForumRunner_20120308_210453.jpg

7. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

The Charger is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot..... And that's up against the T/C Contender I had in .223

8. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

If you want just a plinker that will mimic a bigger fullsize semi auto, then you can choose from a Sig Mosquito, Ruger SR22, or a Walther P22. You can also get a AA conversion kit for your glock.
    The Browning Buckmark, S&W 22A, Ruger Mark series of pistols are more accurate, but do not mimic a larger semi auto.
    You can never forget a good ole revolver either!

Personally, for plinking find one you like and buy it! If you want something accurate, the Buckmark, 22A, and Mark series tend to be the best!
    Just my .02 cents worth.

Here is my Glock and Sig
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  9. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I completely forgot that S&W makes an M&P22 as well. I haven't shot one yet, but they are getting good reviews. They are a bit bigger than the Mosquito and are about 90% the size of a 9mm M&P. Just another one to think about.

Let us know what you decided on and why!

10. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

Me and 3 of my friends shoot Steel Challenge and all of us shoot S&W 22-A's. Super accurate and reasonably priced.
    Academy Sports normally has them for $249.

11. fls348

fls348 New Member

I've had a few different ones over the years but the one I've always kept was the Ruger MKII

12. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

If we're talking about .22 caliber, I'd say one of these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I suspect you're thinking more of .22lr and less of .223...
    I've got a cheap S&W 22A with a dinky 2x scope on it that's pretty fun to play with, and I'm looking real hard at that 10/22 Charger.

13. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

I really like my p22 by walther. I had the mosquito by sig but I didn't keep it. I was not happy with it. My opinion the p22 is great for a cheap day of shooting! My daughter is "learning" gun safety and this is perfect for her. I would recommended it to anyone. I paid $200 for it from a friend of mine that was needing $, but they go for about $330 ish new I think.

14. preventer

preventer New Member

i have a Ruger Mark III very nice and fun gun

15. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

So very similar. My son is the main reason I got the p22 so that he can learn gun safety & cheap practice. Centerfire had them NIB for $270ish back in December.

16. I enjoy my 22A... Adjustable sights, 5.5" barrel... Pain in the ass to rack the slide (have to pinch the sides) but otherwise extremely enjoyable.

17. My wife has the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P 15-22. Both are alot of fun to shoot!! The Ruger is a great gun. You get two different grips and two different mag bottoms for added extension.

18. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Does anyone recommend a sig mosquito or browning buck mark? The gun show is tomorrow and I want to get some thing I can get a lot of practice with.

19. I tried the sig mosquito at the range and didnt like it. lots of ftf and fte. changed the ammo I was using and still the same. tried a buck mark and not an issue with either ammo

20. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Thanks. I'm going again today and will probably walk out with a Ruger sr22. I haven't heard anything but good things. Hickok45 has a nice review on YouTube for it! Thanks for the help! :)