Glock Forum banner

.22 bolt rifle?

1K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Gee17 
#1 ·
Just back from our new vacation home in NW Montana. I am now in need of a bolt action .22 rifle to help reduce the ground squirrel population. I am thinking of bolt action so I can run subsonic ammo to keep the noise down without going suppressed. Mostly close in work from an elevated position. Under 50 yards. Looking at the Ruger American but open for suggestions. Not looking to break the bank but want good quality. Input?

#7 ·
Just back from our new vacation home in NW Montana. I am now in need of a bolt action .22 rifle to help reduce the ground squirrel population. I am thinking of bolt action so I can run subsonic ammo to keep the noise down without going suppressed. Mostly close in work from an elevated position. Under 50 yards.
I like the way you think my friend. Another vote for Ruger too.

#9 ·
I have the Kimber Government Model 82 Target which I got several years ago through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It has a wood stock, heavy barrel, and superb accuracy. It has the adjustable iron sites but I use it with a scope. Prices are all over the place on these. I bought mine for about $350 but prices have jumped to about $1500 or more.

#11 ·
Back in the mid 80's the Norinco JW -15s made their appearance over here ! They were shocking The actions used to fall to pieces after about 2000 shots ! Wind the clock forward to the early 2000s and a mate of mine brought one chambered in .22 mag ! We all cringed but it turned out to be a very good rifle ! Somebody had done their homework and improved the quality a great deal
Have you thought about something like the Rossi Mod 62 pump action? They can be fitted with scopes and pump actions are fast on second shots and are generally fun to use !

#14 ·
I ended up ordering a Ruger Precision Rimfire. Couldn't find one locally so I had to order it in. Crimson Trace is letting me test their Hardline scope and the rings from Warne. It should be a fun package to keep the varmints under control.

#19 ·
And! 1/2"-28 threaded barrel for standard muzzle accessories, like the Silent-SR[emoji2400] suppressor

Pffft...

Here's one I popped last year, only 29 oz with a .177 Diana. Biggest was 44 oz, with a 22 Gamo repeater.

View attachment 287179

View attachment 287180
I have a Diana pellet rifle. It’s nicer then some of my real rifles. [emoji23]

#20 ·
Ruger is fine and I own quite a few rimfire & centerfire pistols and rifles but IMHO if you're spending money on a can then I'd spend more on the rifle and bump up to a Tikka or Bergara.
I've got a Ruger Am. rimfire compact and Tikka T1x and both are great rifles for the cost but the Tikka outshoots the Ruger every time with any ammo.

#30 ·
I did a little work on the Ruger this morning. I remove the trigger safety shoe, replaced the trigger spring, and did some polishing on the trigger. I used a 1911 firing pin spring cut to length to replace the factory spring. By feel, it's about half of the spring rate as the factory spring. I need to order a trigger pull weight tester so I don't have the official number. With my calibrated trigger finger I am guessing it to be about 10-12oz with about .010" of creep. It might actually be a little too light. I will test fire it in the next couple of weeks and see how it feel in live fire. I may end up reinstalling the factory trigger spring if it's too light. Very crisp break. The safety shoe will not be going back on. It feels so much better without that. It feels like the rest of my rifles.
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper