Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today - first time I ever shot a handgun (Glock 19/ Gen 4). My very first shot was almost a perfect bull's eye... it went 'downhill' from there! I am certain I took the first shot correctly (mind was a blank slate) and have a feeling that after feeling the recoil, my adrenaline was pumping and I got a bit shaky & excited. Last time I shot any firearm was 20 years ago in the military. Anyway, here are my targets - they are numbered. (BTW, by the end I was 'used to' recoil <used to it, maybe still not totally controlling it correctly> and comfortable with my Glock). I shot both with full and partial release of trigger after various shots. What an incredible piece of technology! Any advice?

Attachments

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Not too bad!

I'll fully admit the first time I fired a handgun, I had to set it down and go home after 10 rounds. It was exciting and a bit scary and I was so pumped up with adreniline that I just didn't trust my ability to safely operate the hand gun.

Best advice is practice the hell out of it. I'll tell you what I've spread, and I think Happy does to, around the boards. Dry fire practice. Stick a piece of spent brass on the slide, and pull the trigger. If the brass moves or falls you're anticipating, jerking, etc, something wrong. Get to the point where you can do this with no movement at all. I still run this and present drills in my room when I'm bored.

·
1,672 Posts
Also grats on a hell of gun! That was my first Glock too.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Advice:
1. Buy lots of ammo.
2. Practice.

What distance were you shooting at?

In Target #4, were you amining at main bullseye or lower left target?

Seems you are going left of center. Please describe your grip and stance, and whether leftie or rightie.

Also, check out the following threads for more information that might be helpful:

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/my-hands-2787/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/groupings-right-why-2287/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/need-help-question-2574/

There's a bunch of information in all of those posts, and other threads as well.

When you get used to the pistol (thankfully, 9mm is cheaper than anything else, 'cept maybe .22LR), things will improve, promise. Just check those threads out, and see if anything helps you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have been putting a snap cap near the front sight when I practice - with zero motion at all (thus why I am sure my first shot was not a fluke). I think maybe I just had to much excitement, but I kept at it nonetheless. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable shooting before I went home! I went through about 150 rounds (these are only my first four targets b/c they are the most telling). I am going to just listen now & see what anyone has to say. Felt good to shoot after 20 years - and I was on a military base just like the last time I shot 20 years ago, nobody yelling at me this time, though!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
thus why I am sure my first shot was not a fluke
That's what they always say! :D

(I kid! I kid!)

Keep coming back to your thread, lots of advice will suddenly pop up.

Any answers on the questions I posted above (distance to target, stance, description of grip, etc)?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Advice:
1. Buy lots of ammo.
2. Practice.

What distance were you shooting at?

In Target #4, were you amining at main bullseye or lower left target?

Seems you are going left of center. Please describe your grip and stance, and whether leftie or rightie.

Also, check out the following threads for more information that might be helpful:

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/my-hands-2787/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/groupings-right-why-2287/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/need-help-question-2574/

There's a bunch of information in all of those posts, and other threads as well.

When you get used to the pistol (thankfully, 9mm is cheaper than anything else, 'cept maybe .22LR), things will improve, promise. Just check those threads out, and see if anything helps you.

Cheers!
Center of paper...30 feet.I am a right handed shooter, right eye dominant. I will have to think of how to describe my grip - I am using the only grip I have been taught and read about... need to leave to pick up daughter from school. Will check in later. Thanks for responding!

·
1,672 Posts
LOL I call it tea cupping.

I use the two thumb method the spec ops guys showed me :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biggest question gripwise: cup and saucer or not?
Nope, one of the things I learned not to do! I have read many forums, watched some you tube videos (some of which scared me, thinking there are people like 'that' out there with firearms!) and took time to watch 'Armed Response - Handguns 101,' got a lot of great pointers there - among them, no cup & saucer!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what they always say! :D

(I kid! I kid!)

Keep coming back to your thread, lots of advice will suddenly pop up.

Any answers on the questions I posted above (distance to target, stance, description of grip, etc)?
I thought twice before I said what I did (bull's eye first shot)! I was just so calm and practiced on my first shot. I guess what I meant is I have no doubts about the sights or the weapon - I have heard people try to excuse themselves by blaming the gun. I know it was me because I was so calm on the first shot - that's what I meant... I think I squeezed that trigger for 20 seconds before it shot! After that, I was noticeably jittery for the rest of my session. Part of me wanted to pack up and leave, but I just recalled my 'Army days-' where you could not just come back another day. I decided to get used to my 19 and leave feeling more confident. After my first target, I sincerely just focused more on recoil and control of the gun more than hitting center - but I still tried hitting center. So many things going on in my mind after that first shot. I'm glad I stayed though - I think I can avoid the adrenaline dump next time and approach things with a more calm mind. I'm still pleased with my first experience - at least I know I can hit someone at 30 feet if I need to, just a question of where I hit them! I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me and much room to grow - and I like that!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also grats on a hell of gun! That was my first Glock too.
Thanks - and I appreciate the advice. Also was glad you told me how you felt after 10 shots... part of me thought I was too hyped up to keep shooting, but since there was an almost empty range (awesome!) and NOBODY on the half I was on, I stayed. Had there been a full house, I may have left due to my jitters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts