Glock Forum banner

1911 format

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Glock_26 
Look it up. I didn't say 1911, I said Browning. I believe Gaston Glock has openly stated as such. I stole this off of WIKI but it is widely published.

The Glock 17 is a 9mm short recoil-operated locked breech semi-automatic pistol that uses a modified Browning cam-lock system adapted from the Hi-Power pistol.[28] The firearm's locking mechanism utilizes a linkless, vertically tilting barrel with a rectangular breech that locks into the ejection port cut-out in the slide. During the recoil stroke, the barrel moves rearward initially locked together with the slide approximately 3 mm (0.12 in) until the bullet leaves the barrel and chamber pressure drops to a safe level. A ramped lug extension at the base of the barrel then interacts with a tapered locking block integrated into the frame, forcing the barrel down and unlocking it from the slide. This camming action terminates the barrel's movement while the slide continues back under recoil, extracting and ejecting the spent cartridge casing. The slide's uninterrupted rearward movement and counter-recoil cycle are characteristic of the Browning system.[29]

Which is why I said... The glock is still based on a John M. Browning design. Maybe that is what he meant.

And yeah, many designs come from Browning. What can I say, he was smart...like jeopardy smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.