Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is seriously awesome! Do you do it professionally or just your hobby?

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the kudos. I don't do it professionally. I have been duracoating for 4 years or so and have been cerakoting for 3 or 4 months now. I've been at it so long and screwed up enought times that I get it right most of the time now!

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Looks great! Nice job...

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you prefer Duracoat or Cerakote and why?
I do like duracoat, and when the surface is properly prepped and the duracoat is given time to FULLY cure (3-4 weeks) duracoat is a great finish that will last a long time. You can use it after 24 hours, but the guns that get to fully cure, have finishes that hold up the best over time. I have seen this proven in many of the guns I have coated over the years.

All that being said, I like cerakote better. It air cures in 5 days or oven cures immediately and seems to me to be a more durable finish to everyday wear than duracoat.

Duracoat has more color options, but given a choice, I will go with cerakote.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Good job! Looks great!

·
I have the body of a god........Budda
6,346 Posts
I do like duracoat, and when the surface is properly prepped and the duracoat is given time to FULLY cure (3-4 weeks) duracoat is a great finish that will last a long time. You can use it after 24 hours, but the guns that get to fully cure, have finishes that hold up the best over time. I have seen this proven in many of the guns I have coated over the years.

All that being said, I like cerakote better. It air cures in 5 days or oven cures immediately and seems to me to be a more durable finish to everyday wear than duracoat.

Duracoat has more color options, but given a choice, I will go with cerakote.
Knowing I Duracoat, a Cerakote sales rep has failed to call me after two reminders so other than seeing what others have done I've no knowledge of it so I need to ask.

I demonstrate a fully cured Glock slide by very agressively pounding it on the edge of 3/4 marine plywood several times and show ......nothing other than maybe some stain from the plywood oils that wipe off.

I really just want to know if Cerakote will withstand the same ?

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Knowing I Duracoat, a Cerakote sales rep has failed to call me after two reminders so other than seeing what others have done I've no knowledge of it so I need to ask.

I demonstrate a fully cured Glock slide by very agressively pounding it on the edge of 3/4 marine plywood several times and show ......nothing other than maybe some stain from the plywood oils that wipe off.

I really just want to know if Cerakote will withstand the same ?
Can't say much for their customer service as I have never had reason to reach out to them. I ordered online, received the product quickly, and have not had any issues using it. As far as durability goes, I have taken a large screwdriver to the side of my pardner pump slide and it held fine. If you want to do a side by side comparison send me a slide and I will cerakote it for you and you can perform a torture test on both finishes.

·
I have the body of a god........Budda
6,346 Posts
Can't say much for their customer service as I have never had reason to reach out to them. I ordered online, received the product quickly, and have not had any issues using it. As far as durability goes, I have taken a large screwdriver to the side of my pardner pump slide and it held fine. If you want to do a side by side comparison send me a slide and I will cerakote it for you and you can perform a torture test on both finishes.
Now that would be major cool. How about exchanging slides for each other's process. I'm up for it and if I learn how to post vids we could......??

I think it would be great for GF members. Whatcha think ?

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Awesome job on the subdued camo Glock...

And I would be interested in the Dura / Cera finish torture test too!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Now that would be major cool. How about exchanging slides for each other's process. I'm up for it and if I learn how to post vids we could......??

I think it would be great for GF members. Whatcha think ?
Posting vids is easy. Just load your videos onto your channel on Youtube( It will tell you how) then you can just copy the link and paste it in a post! Even I have done it so it can't be too hard!!:D:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts