Glock Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What are the benefits of +P ammo in 45ACP, when it is pretty much accepted that there is very little difference in lethality in common pistol rounds? Would a +P not be a drawback due to the extra time it takes to get back on target?
Unless we are talking about Brown Bears, in which case 45 Super or 460 Rowland would still not leave me 100% comfortable.
+P is mostly for short barrels and to make/keep velocity to insure expansion in target. Most are 30-60 FPS over standard, so it doesn't give a lot, but still can make a difference.
Old tech bullets really benefit. Gold Dot, Golden Saber, XTP, and others. HST is very good at standard pressures and velocities. One of the few.
Yes +P has it's draw backs. You just have to decide what you need.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What are the benefits of +P ammo in 45ACP, when it is pretty much accepted that there is very little difference in lethality in common pistol rounds? Would a +P not be a drawback due to the extra time it takes to get back on target?
Unless we are talking about Brown Bears, in which case 45 Super or 460 Rowland would still not leave me 100% comfortable.
I have not chronographed my Underwood 185 gr. +P but the Hornady 220 gr. +P comes out of my 3.2" Taurus PT145 at 890 fps. That's about the same velocity as standard pressure 230 grain from a 5" barrel. So, +P allows me to get the same performance out of a compact 3.2" barrel as one would normally get from a 5" barrel.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts