Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I was always partial to 185. Wouldn't turn my nose up at 230 though. 45 ACP is a standard.

·
Registered
579 Posts
"What are people carrying in 45 acp?"
With the ammo and reloading component shortage I'm buying whatever I can when I can of both.
While I have some of the Winchester Defender 230gr SD ammo in the safe (I got it when it was on sale) I'm not really a fan of "Hyper blow through two guys in armor and the car and neighbor's house behind them" kind of ammo. :)
In 45acp I prefer a heavy relatively slow moving bullet with good penetration that will dump all or most of it's energy into a target and not be a hazard to everything behind the target.
Since I mostly reload I prefer to use powder/polymer coated 230gr cast lead round nose bullets over moderate powder charges. Pretty much like the standard 1911 military load but with a bit more powder and better expansion than FMJ.
But like I said I've been buying what I can when I can and have bullets of various designs and weights in my stash.
Properly loaded they all work just fine in my S&W 4566 pistol and 1917 Colt service revolver.
Boom!....................Thump! :eek:
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp......................
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Seems to me that the 230 gn has been working since 1911, so why change
The 230 grain 45ACP .mil has some odd characteristics for a FMJ, they tumble, pretty reliably. The velocity at most close(ish) ranges and the nature of the size to length, make it a bit of an oddity.
Tumbling isn't the best for terminals, and can be a bit unreliable, but when it works, it does a nice job of making a mess. Tumbling means it swaps ends, turning to face the direction it came from. The flat end finishing the show, but for that short time it is sideways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The 230 grain 45ACP .mil has some odd characteristics for a FMJ, they tumble, pretty reliably. The velocity at most close(ish) ranges and the nature of the size to length, make it a bit of an oddity.
Tumbling isn't the best for terminals, and can be a bit unreliable, but when it works, it does a nice job of making a mess. Tumbling means it swaps ends, turning to face the direction it came from. The flat end finishing the show, but for that short time it is sideways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If your 230gr bullets are tumbling you have other issues going on.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Reactions: timr0458 and j102

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are the benefits of +P ammo in 45ACP, when it is pretty much accepted that there is very little difference in lethality in common pistol rounds? Would a +P not be a drawback due to the extra time it takes to get back on target?
Unless we are talking about Brown Bears, in which case 45 Super or 460 Rowland would still not leave me 100% comfortable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts